1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IR remote around corners

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by wookieman, Feb 20, 2005.

1. wookieman

wookieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm thinking of getting some IR remote dimmers to replace my standard dimmers controlling the lights in the lounge but they will need to work around a corner :rolleyes:

Has anyone else tried this, will it work ? I know (for instance) I can control my tv even when pointing the remote away from the tv and the signal must bounce off the walls, or am i better getting rf dimmers?

Can someone with IR dimmers try operating them by pointing the remote away from the sensor and post some results.

Thanks in advance.

2. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It all depends on the reflectivity at IR of your wallcoverings and the angles between the units - it's just light after all. I can operate my rear curtains by pointing my remote at the TV screen - it reflects the signal back over my head!

You can get IR repeaters that use a radio link to get around corners, if it does not work in your room.

3. jsebright

jsebright
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had no problems operating a varilight remote dimmer with a pronto .
    The pronto seems to send a fairly strong signal, so you might get different results with different remote controls. A strategically placed mirror or large flat surface (projector screen?) will probably help if you have problems!

Jon.

4. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Edited - double post!

I used two mirrors to get the signal into the alcove containing my stereo as a student...you had to have good aim though!