IR relay to hardware in a cabinet?

lostbok

Established Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to setup some way of relaying my remote control signals from the rest of the room to my AV hardware that is in a solid wooden cabinet.

Wiring should be a doddle - I just need to know what the most cost effective way is: currently the "door open" approach is working, but is getting annoying...

HArdware that needs connecting... Sony amp*, V+ box*, DVD RW/player (currently an Ellion), xbox DVD remote would also be nice, but far from essential (I can always use the RF controller).

*essential!

edit: is this the right forum?!?

yep - that's what I'm after (and the right kinda price range!!)...

recommended places to get those (and the extra IR balster in the UK)?

edit: that's cheating!! answering my question and editting it in before I've even had a chance to ask it!! ;)

Do you have a LCD/Plasma? I've found my LCD seems to make the IR receiver blink, guess it chucks out IR. Does the same to my Microsoft USB dongle.

If your units are close together in a cabinet you might only need the two, let's automate has this to say

The Blaster Emitter can be used to "flood" an area with infra-red light. The Blaster emitter does not need to be placed directly onto the products you are controlling. It will flood an area of at least 4 feet thereby allowing control of a large array of devices with just a single emitter.

hmmm... I might get away with that.... there's only two shelves (amp on top of DVD, which is usually off... and then the xbox mounted on it's side next to the V+ box)... however, if they don't increase the postage for the extra item, I might just get it all at once...

Any recommended retailers that don't have a 14 day lead time?

any other products out there (simialr price range) that I ought to consider?

Tv in that room will be the Philips (32" LCD), but the IR blaster (receiver unit) will be mounted under (and ideally slightly behind) the TV.

I found it at reallycleverhomes.co.uk - ÂŁ4 more... but in stock.... might just go for the main box for now since those are the same price.

any idea why there is such a large price difference between these products and the IR Control Pro 8 or these xantech kits? The marmitek ones seem to come in at about £30 for 4 devices compared to ~£150 for 4 devices with the xantech ones. Big difference!

any idea why there is such a large price difference between these products

that's what I was thinking....

n e way... ordered from reallycleverhomes (via amazon - oneclick :) )... £23.50 inc delivery for the main module... I'll pay-up for the extra IR blasters later, if I need 'em....

Xantech is a bit different and can do alot more link multiple rooms to multiple locations run IR and more also Xantech do recievers that are designed to reject IR from LCD back lights and plasma screens. It is exxpensive but very good. There are other solutions on the market as well

thanks Horny - the 20-quid box should do me!

Xantech is a bit different and can do alot more link multiple rooms to multiple locations run IR and more also Xantech do recievers that are designed to reject IR from LCD back lights and plasma screens. It is exxpensive but very good. There are other solutions on the market as well
so how does the cheaper solution work when faced with an LCD in a pretty dark room where the LCD is the primary source of light? I don't want to buy something and find it doesn't work so well :suicide:

apologies for the partial thread hijack btw :)

The two IR receivers (Microsoft MCE and Marmitek) do get IR interference from the LCD, what I've done is push them into my racking slightly. The blaster from my remote still is received on the boxes, but the IR noise from LCD isn't being picked up by the IR recievers.

np Matt - as long as it's still on-topic ;)

thanks for the tip Bob - I was going to mount it about 3 inches behind the LCD anyway, so will I get interference from the backlight or the Ambilight?

I can mount the reciever failry centrally (and level with the bottom of the screen), so that might solve any potential Ambilight problem as it's only the two-channel Ambilight model...

Matt - hold off buying anything (if you want) and I'll let you know how I get on with the LCD interference.

np Matt - as long as it's still on-topic ;)

thanks for the tip Bob - I was going to mount it about 3 inches behind the LCD anyway, so will I get interference from the backlight or the Ambilight?

I can mount the reciever failry centrally (and level with the bottom of the screen), so that might solve any potential Ambilight problem as it's only the two-channel Ambilight model...

Matt - hold off buying anything (if you want) and I'll let you know how I get on with the LCD interference.
n1, would be good to know :thumbsup:

my cabinet doesn't arrive til Sept 24 so I'm in no hurry. The central column is covered in speaker grille material so I'm aiming to stick the receiver in there, it sounds like that should shield it from any stray LCD generated interference. I could certainly do with getting a cheap solution for once :rolleyes:

I could certainly do with getting a cheap solution for once :rolleyes:

I'm hearing ya!!

Will let you know (or PM me any time after this weekend if I forget)... should be arriving tomorrow - should have is all setup by Sunday at the latest (very busy Sat).

MattKhan - seriously consider one of these little boxes...

6 hours of TV use.... and it's behaved flawlessly thus far!!

Not one un-called for flicker from the IR reciever.

Controlling the V+ and the Sony amp perfectly.

Only slight issue is that the "IR flood" theory probably isn't going to work.... I think you need to project from a few feet or have a highly reflective cabinet...

When my cabinet is closed, the V+, amp, etc are approx 1.5" away from the door... and it's all fairly rough and rustic looking wood in there, so I think any "spare" IR blasts are just getting absorbed by the wood... I've pinned the IR blasters onto the inside of the door, perfectly lined up with the reciever on the amp and the V+ box.... I think I'll keep an eye out for another pair to control the DVD and the xbox, but certainly not a priority...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom