1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IR relay system advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by taimur, Dec 11, 2003.

1. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to put my AV system into a cabinet that I built which has a door. However, I'm going to have to use some kind of IR relay system so that my remote controls can be used. Can someone tell me what I should buy, please?

I have an NTL box, an Arcam DVD player and a Rotel amp, all of which have remote input jacks. I think what I need is a receiver (I'd like a small round one), a junction box and three wires coming out of it.

Could someone advise as to what the cheapest way of doing this is, please? URL's appreciated!

Thanks

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    XANTECH. Do a search on google. Available from Malcom Wixley at MARTEK distribution in UK. Call them for advice.

They do a keyhole IR receiver which can be wired back to an IR engine. IR Engine/amp Can be bought with as many outputs as you require.

Gordon

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Most IR senders will not send NTL code, you have to use a red-eye, available from letautomate, and then choose a universal you like. There are a few that will, but make sure you check if you want to use the ntl remote. The redeye is necessary for almost all universals too, all except kameleon.

4. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies.

I called Martek about Xantech and the cost is about £150. Isn't there anything cheaper?

My NTL box should be OK as I've been able to teach many remotes the codes needed to change channels, etc. I think it's only some pace NTL boxes that use the non-standard IR frequencies.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes most pace cable boxes, http://www.redremote.co.uk/ gives the details. As I say, most of the issue if you have a non-rc5 box is that remote senders do not carry the frequencies. That issue aside, keene electronics have what you are looking for at 1/3 of that cost.

6. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for suggesting Keene - they indeed are a lot cheaper.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I use that if the cosmetics are not important, ie inside the cupboard. The receiving unit's not very special, low WAF, if you know what I mean, but QED do one, a WM22, which fits in a shallow in wall box, 30mm or less, looks very smart, about £35, 40, pm me if you need one, it's a custom install product, you might have some difficulty getting it. But brings the keene box right up to martek standards and beyond, you can wire it with 4 core phone or cat 5, and it's smart enough, black sqare in white switch type surround, to stick next to a 6k plasma, which it what I do..

8. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW. I've sent you a pm. The WAF for the QED product has been given a pass!

9. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    MAW, do you hook the WM22 to the Keene IR distributor box? I have a Keene IR box but want a more discreet IR Receiver like the Xantech MicroLink - is there an equivalent you know of that will work with the Keene box.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's the idea, it's just an ir receiver, you can wire it to the keene box or of course qed's own

11. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just bought a hot link pro from letsautomate (£99.95). It has one receiver and 6 transmitters and works absolutely perfectly. Very sensitive too - you can point the remote anywhere you like in the room and the receiver still picks up the IR. Highly recommended.

12. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that looks good - do you have a picture of what the receiver looks like, and an indication of its size (discreet is importnat for me!). Thanks.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Taimur, sorry I haven't been back to you, everyone's builders are late, we have 6 installs left before xmas! Think I have 1 wm22 left in stock, will be wiring one to a keene system tomorrow if the paint is dry! Total cost £80, the wm22 is a keystone white faceplate with the IR a 30mm black square in the middle. Same size as a std. light switch, back box is in fact 35mm deep it says on the one on my desk here. It has WAF here, and my partner's approval, she's an interior designer. Not very antique of course, but very plasma-ish, know what I mean. Keene box has 4 low power out sockets, and 1 high power cabinet blaster out. The LP outs are for attached emitters placed on the IR receivers of the kit, or into the IR in socket if they have one, pioneer and denon are good in that respect.

14. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem. I have three components, all with IR sockets as well as IR receivers, though I'd rather use hardwiring. £80 sounds fine - I'm pm'ing you my details. Thanks again.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Right, hadn't read the post before the PM reply. The 2 emitters should be fine, you can try harwiring and see if it works on some or all of the suitable kit, an additional cost of this is you have to tell me what you've got and if it's hardwirable! Some do and some don't! Do it here in the forum though, I don't keep secrets of these things, just like to know. My big customers don't read internet forums, they just expect things to work. I take it the input is 3.5mm jack? That's the output on the keene amp, so stereo jack to stereo jack will connect them.

16. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. My equipment list is:
    Arcam DV88+ DVD player
    Rotel 1055RSX receiver
    NTL cable box (with a jack that says IR in)

Although I'd prefer hardwiring, if it's much more expensive, I'd rather not. If the difference is only a few pounds, then that's fine.

here's a picture of the back of the rotel

Attached Files:

17. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and one of the Arcam - in the top left of the arcam and middle-left top (a couple down) of the rotel you'll see the small jack sizes:

Attached Files:

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    it's pennies, you stick a stereo jack to stereo jack lead from the IR box to the IR in on your kit. My pace NTL box works like that and it's cheap as chips, your gear is doubtless properly made, good chance of it working. Tried the wm22 as a reciever this morning, partial success, my Yamaha amp doesn't respond, but all else OK. Working on it.

19. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had similar problems with IR receiving on my NTL box once my plasma was installed, and someone in the forums suggested placing black electrical tape across the IR receiver. This worked a treat as it prevented the stray IR emissions from the plasma confusing the NTL IR receiver but allowed direct IR from the remote control. Hopefully the unit and all will be working OK, but all advice appreciated on set up tips

20. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW
    I'm not too sure if I've done everything - did you want me to phone you with my credit card details before you sent me the items or did you want me to call after you sent them? Merry Xmas

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Can we speak after xmas, it's sheer madness round here, everyone's builders are late. Just doing a marantz 5200 at a client's now.

22. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no rush - just let me know when a good time for you is. I just didn't want you to think that because I hadn't called you with my CC details that I didn't want the kit. I'll wait for you to contact me about this when you're ready.