1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IR Receiver (SKY+)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Starburst, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Anyone know anything about the IR receiver in the SKY+?

Mine seems to be acting up, it's reception range/angle seems to have reduced greatly. It sometimes fails to respond at all and the TVlink has developed a mind of it's own which makes me wonder if the two are related.

I've done the usual things, Reloaded the OS, Full system reset, changed the batteries in the remote and changed the TVlink cable.

I got it all working again yesterday, not sure how but this morning the TVlink was dead again and the remote control was sporadic.

Any thoughts most welcome:)

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Starburst
    Looks like you have tried most things, but here are some interesting (though probably unlikely!) things to check
    1. that the receiver is not being overdriven. Things that can cause this are IR emitters for multiroom systems if the voltage is too high on the multiblock psu.
    2. ambient light (sunlight, halogens etc)
    3. rogue IR sources - we have seen a situation where laptops being used for surfing are polling for IR to do file transfer every few seconds, and this can cause interference.

probably none of those - but worth a check. Other than that then for the costs of replacing the TV link that would be the next thing to do.

good luck!

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Thanks for the input:)

It's a bog standard TVlink and not feeding a multi-room distribution system and it was working one night and not the next with no change in the setup.
    I did think about the light since now the RPTV is missing the room is considerably brighter but alas I have the same trouble at night as well:)
    Trying to think of all the IR sources that were in use and then find them was a task in itself.

It's a bit of a puzzle, the obvious cause was the TVLink or at least the voltage being supplied to the link but then after my numerous efforts to find a problem it just started working again, granted only for one session and then it died.
    The fact that both the TVlink and IR and SKY+ itself seems to be having problems accepting input makes me look more to the box.

At least I can still record it's just a pain that the one time I need the TVLink (the main TV is waitign to be replaced) it fails on me:)

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Funny you should have the trouble now, Starburst. I have a client, an older gentleman, who had no idea what was possible, asked if I could make his stuff work with the cupboard doors shut. No problem, and a pronto too, X10 for his power amps, and everything worked beautifully except his sky box. I tried everything, but no dice. However, he didn't like the look of his VCR on the PW6 panny, so he went for sky+, and after a quick reprogram, it all worked perfectly. Better and more reliably than before. His previous sky box was 5 years old. Neither the sky remote nor the pronto would control it inside the cupboard, and the pronto would not control it anywhere. I wonder if the IR had been falling down for a while, and the plasma interfered with it too much, they do have that reputation, though I've never seen it so well demonstrated before.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I've tried my existing TVLink and cable on another digibox and it seems to work ok which points to a problem with the SKY+ itself. Mind you the SKY+ TVlink magically started to work yesterday and then failed again for no apparent reason so I'll have to check this other digibox again to see if it still works:)

A little strange that the TVlink and the IR receiver themselves seem to be failing at the same time, I wouldn't have thought they were directly connected but I suppose they could very well be.

6. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I am beginning to wonder if there is another issue at hand here. My Sky+ has started to react very slowly to my IR commands, i.e. one day I can be actually 1" away and it still will not work, another and everything is back to normal. The interesting thing was that firing my remote directly at the box achieved nothing, however going upstairs and firing it at my IR sender [not TV link] it reacts perfectly.

I wondered whether or not some software upgrade has interfered with the sensitivity of the IR module, whereby the "amplified" signal from the IR sender was still adequate whereas the remote direct was not.

Clues anyone?

7. Beefer

Beefer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think there is something going on with Sky+. Since I got back from holiday and experienced a lockout - which usually happens when there is a software update - all of a sudden my Video Sender started interfering with the Sky remote signal. If I switch the Video Sender off the remote works fine. I thought at one stage that altering the frequency number of the sender had solved it, but next morning the remote started working intermittently.

I think it is bizzare as I haven't changed anything and its been working OK for years now, what's happened, is the sky box receiving on a different channel or something.

The last time I had sluggish remote problem was when Sky introduced the Instant Rewind feature.

Its bloody annoying whatever it is.

8. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Low-energy bulbs and plasma screens can cause significant IR interference.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I'm totally baffled, after the link and remote refused to work, then worked for an hour and stopped now SKY+ and existing TVlink are working 100% and I have had no further problems with the direct IR control of the box via the remote.
    Perhaps it was a software issue (similar to your problem, coincidence?) even though I did do a reload and reset, I suppose I should be happy I didn't shell out for a new link or call out:)

10. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

There has been a number of people having problems with the TV-link and SKY+. I myself am having the same problems as starburst where the link is intermittently working. Sometimes you can have hassle free viewing and then all of a sudden the TV-link fails to respond! The other symptom that I have is that the green light on the TV-link is continually coming on/off as if the SKY+ box is cutting the power and reinstating it to the Tv-link. Then like starburst says it dies all of a sudden and later comes back to life? I believe it is a problem with the SKY+ box and that both the SKY engineers and SKY themselves know of this problem. What they are going to about it is yet to be answered?