IR receiver on SKY Q

wkeith

Standard Member
I just got SKY Q installed - took a mini box as well as I got free install. I controlled my HD box (and Virgin TIVO) with IR over RF and planned to use the same for SKY Q. A quick test when the engineer did the install showed it was working, but after he left it became clear it was intermittenly clunky. After struggling for a while I tried using the output from the mini box to send the signal round the house and moved the IR emitter to it - this works fine. It seems that the receiver on the Q is either faulty or less sensitive than the one on mini box. Has anyone else come across this? Should I just ask for a new Q box?

dts

Distinguished Member
why would you need to do that? the idea is that having sky Q and the mini boxes is that it keeps things simple and a user experience,and using the supplied remotes for each sky Q box.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Where have you tried the IR sensor? My version 3 off the box and the version 1 before that works fine with an IR sender.

wkeith

Standard Member
Where have you tried the IR sensor? My version 3 off the box and the version 1 before that works fine with an IR sender.
Thanks for the reply -= that's really what i wanted to hear - i have the sender on the front at the round red window - it works fine with mini box. I think the receiver must be faulty.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Its a fairly unusual fault, just to test have you checked the ir emitter is working correctly. I have had an issue where the actual ir led has been pointed at an angle internally within the emitter causing an issue until it was straightened.

Here is my sky a box for reference

194DC02C-92A7-4CA1-8C57-9A8A5A75E73A.jpeg

I am using an ir shield too but that only needed to stop stray signals sending a double signal.

If the sky q box was broken you wouldn’t expect the normal remote to work probably either

wkeith

Standard Member
y
Its a fairly unusual fault, just to test have you checked the ir emitter is working correctly. I have had an issue where the actual ir led has been pointed at an angle internally within the emitter causing an issue until it was straightened.

Here is my sky a box for reference

View attachment 1608107

I am using an ir shield too but that only needed to stop stray signals sending a double signal.

If the sky q box was broken you wouldn’t expect the normal remote to work probably either
Thanks - There are two connected to the tvLink and they work fine on the Tivo and the mini and I have swapped them about - A squint receiver might be the issue. The funny thing is that using the IR remote beside the box works consistently while the sender doesn't so its hard to complain to SKY when there equipment does seem to be working to spec.

BTW your equipment shelves are a lot tidier than mine!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom