• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

IR Receiver for Vista - for use with Remote keyboard

Darthtater

Just bought Microsoft Remote Keyboard for MCE / Vista Home Premium, but it does not have a IR receiver with it.

I wanted the keyboard for the pointer built in, for use on knee

Where can a compatible IR receiver be bought?

psikey

Distinguished Member
Think you'll find you need to buy one with a remote. The MS one can be had for around £18 I think.

This one may also be suitable as I think I read it is similar to the standard MS kit but with extra functions for Cyberlink software.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129977

£5.29 Exc. p&p

Any info on the Keyboard? Find it strange it didn't come with a reciever unless you got it 2nd hand.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Is it this one:

directron_1983_517365436

If so the the info states:

Notes: (1) For the remote keyboard to work, you must use the receiver that came with your Media Center PC or the Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Remote Control. If the receiver isn't built into the computer, make sure that it's connected to your computer.

But I'm sure others have got the Cyberlink one to work just the same. Your choice, gamble on the low price one from ebuyer, find the cheapest MS remote or buy a compatable reciever off ebay.

abraxus

Alternatively you might want just want to sell the MS keyboard after using it and buy a different one. The MS keyboard is fine but the pointer is a real pain to use.

I only got one because I needed an IR keyborad to teach my Hramony remote shortcuts but use a different keyboard for everything else.

rossjamesparker

Standard Member
I was in the same position as the original poster - an MS keyboard and no IR receiver. However, I bought a third-party IR receiver and it didn't work. Very annoying. Now I don't know if it's the fact that my receiver is third-party, or if there is an underlying problem :( I guess the only way to test is to get an MS IR kit and test it, then sell the bits I'm not using!

I am almost tempted to get the pretty-looking MS Wireless Desktop 8000 - but I would need to remortgage first ;)

Bellerophon

Banned
Think you'll find you need to buy one with a remote. The MS one can be had for around £18 I think.

This one may also be suitable as I think I read it is similar to the standard MS kit but with extra functions for Cyberlink software.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129977

£5.29 Exc. p&p

Any info on the Keyboard? Find it strange it didn't come with a reciever unless you got it 2nd hand.

Oooooh, wonder if this works? Am in the same boat having just bought a Vista MCE keyboard.

:lease:If any tries the ebuyer solution please let us know.

sexy looking beast isn't it?
sc001.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom