IR needed for HDMI over Cat6

geoffav

Standard Member
I have a 25m dual cat 6 run to carry HDMI from the living room to the bedroom (using baluns). I had intended to use a harmony 900 to control the devices in the living room but it doesn't work. I can't get a wireless signal of any kind to pass between the 2 rooms due to the thickness of the walls and the distance.

Really wish I'd bought baluns with IR pass through now. Should I replace the baluns?

Are all 16 wires in the two cat6 cables being used or could I take 2 wires (1 pair) and splice them to an IR eye?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
No standard way of using the pairs - you'll need to refer to the manufacturer of the extenders!

Joe

geoffav

Standard Member
OK thanks, I'll see what the manufacturers say. I experimented a bit but can't get consistent results - some times I can get audio and video even when the second cat 6 cable is completely disconnected!

Also, there is a telephone cable run that I don't need and conveniently runs between the 2 rooms in question. Can I connect a IR extender kit to that?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Don't see why not, you could even use 2 pairs of the telephone cable to be sure.

geoffav

Standard Member
Yes using 2 pairs is a good idea. Just nervous about mutilating the ir extender in case it doesnt work :(

justinsmyth

Standard Member
Hi Geoff,

Any luck with your IR control? This is EXACTLY the problem I am having at the minute. Want to run HDMI but no way of controlling it with wireless so IR is my only option.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated as I really want a nice tidy solution to this!

Cheers
J

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you’re planning to Extend the HDMI signal over dual or single Twisted Pair (CAST5/6) simply install a decent set of HDMI over Twisted Pair Extenders that offer an IR Return path.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom