1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IR Keyboard Needed

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by flid, Mar 18, 2005.

1. flid

flid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Other than the Acer Airkey (which isn't the most attractive of keyboards out there), does anyone know any IR keyboards on sale in the UK for reasonable cost (under £30)?

I've built a linux based HTPC using mythtv and a hauppauge Nova-T (909). I'm currently using a Kameleon 6in1 remote with the IR dongle that comes with the Nova-T (controlled by lirc), but it's pretty crappy (it detects many signals wrong).

I currently use an RF keyboard on the box, but it struck me that by buying an IR keyboard with a normal ps2 adapter (or USB if it requires no driver), I could use the keyboard and make my kameleon learn the key presses (MythTV is completely contolable by keyboard). This would eliminate the extra hassle of setting up the remote under linux, as it would just act the same as the keyboard.

Problem is, RF is so much cheaper and in pretty much all circumstances better now that IR keyboards seem to be a lot harder to get hold of than they did a few years ago.

Cheers

2. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. gordonfmoore

gordonfmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a Logitech rf kbd and mouse thingy from ebuyer (about £25 I think). Problem is that the range is just too short. I get about 2m and need at least 3m. Keyboard is better than mouse though. The Manhattan mentioned above looks better. [Also I think(?) the mouse (because it likes flashing whenever it senses anything - like rats, spiders and fairies!!!) set off the wake up from standby]

I'd be interested in any other ideas.

:)

4. flid

flid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link. I just emailed your company but the reply was that the manhatten has been discontinued, and sold out last Thursday. It's a shame, although slightly on the expensive side it did look quite nice. The other one on that page (the BTC) looks a bit naff in my opinion, the handles at the side are reminiscient of a breakfast tray ;)

5. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've now been able to source a keyboard similar to the Manhattan but the price is much more I am afarid. Trouble with single source unfortunately.