1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IR interference

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by iandrews, Oct 17, 2003.

1. iandrews

iandrews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Can LCD screens cause IR interference. The reason I ask is because last night I got round to setting up my Amp and DVD player with my LC-30HV4. When I tried to control the Amp (Denon 3300) with either my 'one for all' remote, or the original Denon remote it didn't work form my normal viewing distance. They only started to work when they were about 2 feet or so away from the Amp. Just to be sure I put a new set of batteries into the Denon remote, but still had the same problems. I then thought that I had read somewhere that Plasmas / LCD TV's can cause IR interference, so I switched of the TV and both remotes controlled the Amp fine.

So could it be the screen causing the problems, and if so is there anything I can do about it.

P.S. The picture from the DVD player to the screen with the Thor Scart leads I got seemed (to my eyes anyway) superb, and no sight of the 'ghosting' that I had seen when I had quickly tested the DVD player before with a cheep scart lead.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Not seen this with LCD but it seems, judging by your deductions, to be the display emiiting IR noise.

You could try using an IR relay system with emitters placed directly on front of units and the receiver shielded from the stray IR from the panel.

Xantech/QED do these sorts of devices

Gordon