• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

IR Extension Cables

amardilo

Distinguished Member
My Xbox One is sometimes having a little trouble changing the channel of my set top box (my TV and AV Receiver are fine), sometimes it misses numbers. I think this is down to the Kinect not being able to get it's IR baster to not always send the inputs to the set top box.

I think getting an IR extension cable might help but I don't really want to spend the money if I they don't really help. Anyone used one with the Xbox One before and can anyone recommend a low profile/small one (looking at some Xbox One support documentation any IR extension cable with a 3.5mm connection should do just fine)?

Also if I plug one in will that stop my Kinect from acting as an IR Blaster too, as my TV and AV Receiver work fine I would like it to continue to function as normal although as it sometimes registers with my set top box would that mean that it would send the same input down both the Kinect and IR extension cable possibly causing the input to be registered twice?

Stretchy

Established Member
Hi mate. Not sure if it helps or not bit I've just installed a cheap but effective ir extender as my xbox and sky are behind doors in my unit. Reason being and to answer your last point, kinect is only an IR Blaster and not a receiver, something that became apparent to me when I got the media remote and the family had a fit that the new way id set everything up wasn't working, remote is ir only as the receiver point is on the xbox front.

amardilo

Distinguished Member
For anyone interested I bought a small IR Extension cable.

I did a small test and it works as intended. I can now control my set top box from my Xbox One and Kinect.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom