IR Extenders

logiciel

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Hi.
This is one for the Remote Controls forum really but there are plenty of IR extenders such as this to choose from, and they work with all the original remotes though you can get universal remotes to take over from those, while there is the alternative of much more expensive universals that control all the devices without line of sight.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Morning , this should be a nice and easy one (it is a sunday morning !) i would like to have my DVD,Xbox and Tivo moved in to the Dining room which is behind my Tv wall.

what sort of extender should i look at that would control the 3 devices?

Im also guessing i would need a fancy new remote to control the tv,Virgin/DVD?

Could the Xbox work off the IR Extender?

many thanks for you time

evening , this should be a nice and easy one!
I would like to have my DVD,Xbox and Tivo moved in to the Dining room which is behind my Tv wall.

what sort of extender should i look at that would control the 3 devices?

Im also guessing i would need a fancy new remote to control the tv,Virgin/DVD?

Could the Xbox work off the IR Extender?

many thanks for you time

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting again was not the idea!
Do you need more details of my response?

well will one IR send the signal to the 3 devices?

what do people recommend?

they work with all the original remotes
In this case, all three of them.
People can only say what extenders they have, and they all work, so that couldn't be of any help.

ok so one IR extender will plug into all the boxes ?

They don't plug in - one of the pair of units - like those on my link - receives the IR from the remotes and sends it wirelessly to the other which then sends it to the devices in the same way as the remotes do.
Some allow for individual emitters that you attach to the devices but they're not unusually necessary.

Last edited:
If you can get away with running a cable between the IR receiver and area where your 3 devices will be, I would go that route. It's far more reliable than the wireless senders. Only use these if you don't have the option of running a cable. Your Xbox controller is bluetooth and so wouldn't require a repeater, it should be powerful enough to work through the wall but give it a go to see what it's limits are. We have a range of IR repeaters that would suit: for 2 devices and one receiver you could use our new IRBKIT mini. If you are thinking of adding more receivers or AV devices then the IRPKIT4 might be better.

I've been using a Keene kit for a few years now and it's very good. I have the receiver on top of my centre speaker just under the tv, then a 3m extension lead that runs it down some trunking off to the cabinet with all my kit.

I got the little blinker emitters that stick to the front of individual devices.

Not cheap but I prefer things to be wired if they can be.

Also, the Xbox has an ir receiver which I have a blinker stuck to and control it with the harmony (obviously not for games)

I've been doing a bit of looking around for a wired ir extender system as currently using the Powermid rf extender but it picks up to much interference especially the one in the conservatory (the blue light is constantly on meaning its always picking up ir from the sunlight? and the LCD screen and needlessly converting it). I got a xantech block of eBay very cheap so thought I'd build up my system this way. Should have done a bit of research first though as need 3 ir receivers and didn't realise the xantech ones are about £200 each so that idea quickly went out the window. I recently bought one of these and works perfectly and comes with 3 ir emitters. Then I experimented with the sky magic eyes which are available cheap and turns out they are compatible with the ir transmitter that comes with it. I have yet to set it up to see if I can get 3 receivers working with it. I know you can buy arial amplifier/splitters that are designed for multiple magic eye set ups but want to avoid these as I'm only using the coax to send ir signals not for distributing tv signals, so hoping a straight forward cheap y splitter will work. If I get it working how I want the whole set up will cost less than £30 (not inc. cabling, but I already have spare RCA cables in place so going to use them) to control 3 devices from 3 TV's. I personally don't need to do this as I control all my equipment by a phone app (Roomie) but the wife prefers to use traditional remotes so best keep her happy ☺.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom