• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

IR Extender question with Digifusion FVRT200

5taples

Standard Member
Computers are my specialty so with that in mind
Stupid question time...

I am sure many who read this shunt their tongue to their bottom lip and shout buuuuh but I have a quick question about IR Extenders.

This is what I want

Digifusion PVR completely hidden underneath the bottom drawer of a fitted chest of drawers (mum moaning it is too loud and protrudes, it is)

TV on the top of the chest of drawers 1.5m high (connected through SCART, space already behind)

All I want to do is create some sort of wired connection, or wireless as long as it works, so that she can control (fully) the hidden PVR with its existing remote.

Will this work okay with the Digifusion? Will I be able to control everything with the existing remote?
Will one of those wired IR eyes, or would the wireless one from Keane be better?
The Digifusion does not have a 3.5mm jack...does that matter...

I have looked at the Powermid XL (wireless) and seen some IR eyes wired, read ridiculous amounts of threads on forums, especially AV and now have left my head in a spin.
(having a stupid Hannspree TV has also made me paranoid about remotes ha)

So would it work simply or is the fact that my question is so simple going to get me no replies ;)

logiciel

You've looked at the Powermid, so why not a pair of those?

5taples

Standard Member
You've looked at the Powermid, so why not a pair of those?

That is what I think I am going to do, but I just wanted to know whether some other, cheaper, alternative was available to me such as a simple wired IR extender that would work easily with the Digifusion box.
The height might be an issue though as it is under the bottom drawer.

For some reason I just cannot find the information to make IR extension clear to me, I understand how the more complex varieties work but not how the basics may make them work.
Cheers for the reply, I'll assume the Powermid is a working solution for the existing Digifusion remote :)

Last edited:

5taples

Standard Member
I think I can answer my own question and hopefully help some other newbie IR (infra red for search purposes)

What I was looking for was a single wire that went over the IR receiver on the digibox and then popped up the other side with a small eye.
These are not easily available, if at all...

So I think I am going to go for the Invisible Control due to it low profile and IR extension cable that does go over the IR receiver. It only has a low range but this suits my purposes. It also offers battery or mains power.

The Powermid XL has a wider range, is a higher profile, not sure if the aerial would need to be extended for a 1.5m range but having it extended would make it and unmanageable height for me (anyone know???), it works wirelessly by facing the IR receiver on the digibox/dvd etc.

They both allow for your own remote to be used.
I found this useful.
Multimedia - Infrared Extenders

Correct me if I am wrong, every day is a school day.

logiciel

The Powermid units are small; the antenna would not need to be extended for 1.5m and does not extend much anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom