• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

IR Connection through Smart-e Unit

AndyH747

Hi All,

I'm using a Smart-e SLX-111 unit to transmit a VGA signal down some CAT5e to an outbuilding. I'm trying to setup the IR control which this box also handles but have a query which I hope someone can help with.

The Smart-e receiver and transmitter have 3.5mm jacks for the infrared eye and blaster. The device I want to control also has a 3.5mm jack socket for an IR extender eye so the device can be placed in a cupboard with the eye outside. Question is whether I can simply connect a cable with a 3.5mm jack plug at each end into the device and the Smart-e unit? This would then mean I wouldn't need to plug in an IR eye to the device and an IR blaster to the Smart-e.

Anyone know if this would work?

If not, instead of buying the Smart-e IR eye and blaster, can I use any make of IR eye and blaster as the Smart-e ones are very expensive? The specs say the IR on the Smart-e is 30-500KHz modulated IR.

Thanks for any help. :)

logiciel

Yes, that should work - why not try it?

AndyH747

Thanks.

The only 3.5mm jack cable I have is an audio jack cable with a stereo 3.5mm jack at each end. Will this cable work or do I need a mono jack at each end?

logiciel

That's OK, and the different plug could cause a problem, but again the answer is to try it. A new one is cheap if that doesn't work.

logiciel

That's OK - no problem - others have done this so you should get there with one cable or the other - do let us know -Logi.

AndyH747

Hi,

Well I've been experimenting today and can't get it to work with direct cable connection. I tried both a 3.5mm stereo jack cable and mono jack cable but the signals aren't being received by the device. I replaced the direct cable with an IR blaster I'm using for another device and it worked fine so the signals are getting to the Smart-e but the direct cable connection is not working.

If you have any suggestions to get it working it would be appreciated.

logiciel

The device I want to control also has a 3.5mm jack socket for an IR extender eye
Isn't that socket mentioned in the device's manual, with some details of its specification?

AndyH747

There are no specifications for the IR port on the device (It's an Avermedia Averdigi Nano EH1008-4). All it says in the manual is the port can be used for an IR extender cable.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom