Question IR Blaster for Original Xbox One

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by TheDarkKnight01, Dec 18, 2017.

1. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    I have bought an IR blaster (not a 3.5m jack one), it is the one that has a tiny IR receiver and then the bigger IR receiver that I believe is the one that receives the signal from the remote?

I do also have a Kinect however I am not interested in using this IR blaster for the Cable TV side of things through the Xbox itself I am using an IR Blaster as the console is blocked from signal of using my media remote.

I have bought an all in one remote and I want to control my TV, my AV Receiver and my Xbox One using the same "All for One" remote. I want this to purely control the blu ray side of things.

The Xbox One console I have is the original one that came out but for some reason it doesn't seem to be receiving the signal from the Xbox Media Remote with the IR Blaster? I have positioned the smaller receiver in front of the Xbox console? It plugged in with a USB however on the back there was a 3.5m jack hole that says IR out?

Can anybody advise, am I going wrong somewhere? Has anybody used this before?

2. RyuOnline

RyuOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The IR out on the rear of the console can be used for a 3 eye blaster cable to your devices. (Check link for correct 3.5mm cable needed)

The Kinect unit itself has a quite powerful IR blaster that blasts IR round the room if you can place your Kinect in a position it can get your devices.

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/live-tv/use-external-ir-with-xbox-one

I’m sure the original Xbox One has a sensor on the front for receiving IR commands. On the S & X you can see the sensor & blaster clearly on the front but I’m sure it’s hidden on the original console.

3. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    I have the Kinect but have no use for it, I don't particularly use the voice commands and I don't have a satelitte TV box set up with my console.

I purely want this so that my media remote/all in one remote can control the console like it would without anything blocking it.

Having said that, when I have had my kinect turned on it still doesn't receive the signal unless I point the remote directly at the console.

Thank you for the link anyway.

Would anyone happen to know where I would have to position the IR Receiver I have? For reference, this is the one I have:

Infrared Remote Control Receiver Emitter USB Adapter IR Extender Repeater HOT~ | eBay

I plugged the USB into the back of the Xbox and then positioned the smaller receiver in front of the Xbox with the bigger receiver on a shelf below my TV which has nothing blocking the signal. No joy.

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

4. RyuOnline

RyuOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    There are a few forums out there that list the IR sensor as being 1cm to the right of the eject button. But almost all success stories of direct IR control have the emitter being placed just left of the eject button (on the chrome plastic on/at the edge of the Blu-ray tray opening)

5. RyuOnline

RyuOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  6. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    Thanks for that. I treid it last night and whilst still a bit temporamental (it feels like I have to point the remote direct at the other IR blaster and the correct height level) it seemed to do the job :smashin:

I just wonder how it is going to work with my all in one remote as like I say it was still a bit temporamental with the aim. Annoyingly the blaster has a constant red LED as well which won't be ideal for watching movies.

7. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    Just a quick update, it all works great.

Only slight issue I have with the IR blaster is that the red LED light stays on permanently.

Any suggestions from anyone on previous with this and what you did to soften the red LED? I think I noticed someone said they put black tape over the LED by taking the casing off.

Did that not interfere with the signal and what black tape was it? Just like selotape or insallation tape?

8. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    So I have since bought the IR Blaster as I posted above but I am having some real temperamental issues with the signal.

I haven't touched the IR Blaster at all, it is as it came however it is not picking up all commands unless it is pointed in a specific place and even then it doesn't work 80% of the time.

Has anybody had one of these and could advise on where I need to put the IR Blaster i.e lower/higher to get it to receive the command every time?

9. RyuOnline

RyuOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    A blaster blasts out the signals FROM the Xbox.

Are u having trouble getting the Xbox One to receive a IR signal from your remote?

10. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    Yes.

Basically, something is in front of my xbox blocking the signal, hence the reason I bought an IR Blaster.

Nothing is in the way of the IR Blaster to my remote but it doesn't always pick up the signal and is extremely temporamental.

So I am having trouble with the IR Blaster receiving the signal from my remote I guess? Any tips on how to make it receive the signal without any issues?

11. RyuOnline

RyuOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You’ve got what the blaster does, it only sends out commands.

You need a IR receiver extender.

One that is usb powered, that u place in a better place than the receiver on the from of your Xbox.

Then you route the wire to the front of your Xbox & point the end at the Xbox IR Window on the front of the Xbox.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01982NQB0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FluxAbMAX0Z95

I have this as needed to get my IR Signal from my harmony remote to multiple devices, Xbox 360, XBox One X, Tv reviewer, surround sound.

You could get one with 1 extending eye or for multiples you may need.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  12. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
  13. RyuOnline

RyuOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Should work fine

14. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    Is there anything I'm doing wrong then from what you can see as it barely works. I'd say 80% of the time it doesn't pick up the signal?

15. RyuOnline

RyuOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    What remote are u using

16. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
  17. RyuOnline

RyuOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Where have u got the sender end of your extending ir cable.

Eg where are u pointing it at the front of the Xbox. Also what Xbox model have u for, original/S/X ?

18. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    I have the original Xbox One (When it was very first released) and I have the smaller IR part just right of the eject button.

As I said it does work sometimes, but 80% of the time doesn't.

That is with me pointing the remote directly at the bigger IR part (one with the red LED light).

Does the bigger one need to be high up or pointed at an angle? Or should it be picking it up regardless as long as there is nothing in between the red LED IR part and the remote?

19. RyuOnline

RyuOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Best thing maybe is to just try & stick the IR extender on the ir window on the Xbox directly

I don’t do that, but trail & error should find you a better position of the eye.

my IR’s for all mine (4x) are positioned & stuck on the door in the correct place & height for the surround sound, Xbox one, tv box.

20. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    I have the IR stuck on the xbox directly (stuck on just to the right of the eject button) did you mean there or somewhere else?

What do you mean by correct place and height for all devices?

Is your xbox hidden away say behind a cupboard with the IR (red LED light part) outside the cupboard with your remote controlling the xbox without any issues?

If that's the case and you are having no issues I really cannot see what I am doing wrong. Could you perhaps let me know your set up (if it's same scenario as mine with your xbox being behind a cupboard) and I can try setting mine up the same to see if that works..

21. RyuOnline

RyuOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    My devices are hidden away, I have the IR’s stuck on the door to my AV cabinet.

So when the door is closed they are maybe 10cm away from the devices IR port. In a place that I trailed and error found best.

Quick question my IR’s are on the sticky side of the sender.

I’ll post some pictures later of my set up.

22. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    Okay thanks I'd appreciate some photos of your set up.

When you say sticky side do you mean the same as how I have mine? (picture attached) or the other way round so that side is facing it?

The issue I think I am having is for whatever reason the bigger IR part with the red LED just isn't picking up the signal from my remote (it has been programmed as it does switch it on 10% of the time if the remote is held in a pot luck angle that picks it up).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  23. RyuOnline

RyuOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Maybe try other positions for the red led receiver part.

Does it work when the remote is directly in front of the receiver?

What I did was point my remote directly into the receiver then adjusted all the sender eyes into the correct position.

Then I messed about with different positions for the receiver to see where it works best when sat on the sofa.

24. RyuOnline

RyuOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    IMG_8979.jpg IMG_8980.jpg

I have mine attached to the cabinet door so when closed they’re in the ideal position for each device.

25. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    Thanks for the pictures of the set up, what about the other end of the receiver on your xbox where do you have that placed?

It works if pointed directly into the receiver at say 0.1cm away, but sitting further away, pointed directly at it, only works 20% of the time, oddly when having the red LED part at like a 45 degree angle and me pointing remote in all sorts of ways, it found specific angle where it works perfectly, but that just isn't normal.

All I want is to be able to point the remote, as I would at my normal TV and for it to respond. Remote works with every other device I have except for this poxy Xbox. Can you tell it is annoying me yet lol.

26. RyuOnline

RyuOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have to point my remote in the direction of the eye, I can’t point it anywhere & it works. Which I’ve got used to.

I can only think that you’ve either got the sending eye in the wrong position for the Xbox. Mine sending eye is stuck on my X. Are you sure it’s in the correct place on your Xbox?

Or it could be that the IR commands from this 3rd party remote aren’t strong enough to pass through the extended.My official Xbox One Remote & Harmony Touch work fine.

27. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    I wouldn't mind having to point the remote at it directly, it is just that doesn't pick it up all of the time. I just tried my Xbox One Media Remote and that isn't picking up the signal either.

However, the receiver does pick up a signal as I say 20% of the time, it just isn't responding how it should when pointing it directly at it from the distance I am at.

I have tried putting the red LED receiver in a number of different positions and still with no joy.

It is so strang because from how you have everything set up it looks the same as my set up, except for the smaller IR receiver part is just to the right of the eject button. When you say your is on the X do you mean to power on button on the console itself?

I have no idea what to do as I feel like other than moving the position of the red LED part around (which I've had no joy with) there's not much else I can do?

28. RyuOnline

RyuOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I’ve got my sender IR stuck on where the IR is on the console itself. After testing several positions I found where it worked best.

How are u powering the the extender? Maybe it’s not drawing enough power via tour USB port ?

Also you mentioned the red LED is on permanently, mine isn’t. Mine flashes when it picks up IR commands. Maybe yours is faulty but we do have slightly different models.

I know you got yours from eBay but I’d have sent the thing back by now. But I use amazon now for speed of delivery & a far far more easier return policy

29. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    Where exactly is the IR on the console?

The extender is being powered by the USB port which goes into the back of the xbox.

I normally use eBay however somebody recommended this one to me on here, they sent me the link and after the high recommendation I just purchased it there and then.