IPTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has just got something called IPTV.

He pays about £10 a month and gets 4000 TV channels. He gets ALL Sky channels, ALL BT channels, ALL PPV and Box Office events and all in HD. He also gets hundreds of US channels and all the 3pm Saturday football matches. It's all delivered over his internet connection and from what I saw it works flawlessly with no buffering. Channel changing was instantaneous.

Now, I know this is almost certainly illegal... but how are the suppliers of these services getting away with it?

And from a technical perspective, how the hell does it work? By that I mean where do the streams come from? Where do they originate from?

How can somebody who has Sky possibly stream every channel they get simultaneously and presumably get paid by the IPTV providers for doing so?

Is this yet another case of the illegal side of things being technologically ahead of the legal side? By that I mean are Sky now selling an outdated model by delivering their programming through a dish when they could now deliver it over an internet connection and make it more flexible?

I'd never heard of IPTV until I saw it at my friend's place... I think I'm seriously behind the times!

I can assure you IPTV is not free from buffering you must have caught it on a good day. I tried it for a week once and it was very hot and miss

I can assure you IPTV is not free from buffering you must have caught it on a good day. I tried it for a week once and it was very hot and miss

After seeing IPTV I've now looked into it and there are LOTS of providers. Maybe yours just wasn't up to it?

I was there most of Saturday afternoon and evening and watched all the footy and the boxing and it never buffered once.

The thing is that he has a VPN and the IPTV service would only work if he was using a US server. But he said that's only at weekends?

I was VERY impressed with how it worked and the quality.

Is this yet another case of the illegal side of things being technologically ahead of the legal side? By that I mean are Sky now selling an outdated model by delivering their programming through a dish when they could now deliver it over an internet connection and make it more flexible?
Sky themselves have said that they intend to introduce a dishless service in 2018.

I guess one of their concerns is their quality of service is suddenly heavily reliant on the service of their customers ISP and a host of other factors that are out of their control. Its one thing to pay £7.50 a month to NetFlix and have to put up with a bit of buffering, occasional drops etc but another to pay £60 a month to Sky and still suffer the same issues.

I'd imagine the demographics of customers of existing legal services like NetFlix is notably different to Sky's and so both their internet service quality and/or acceptance of things like buffering also differ significantly.

After seeing IPTV I've now looked into it and there are LOTS of providers. Maybe yours just wasn't up to it?

I was there most of Saturday afternoon and evening and watched all the footy and the boxing and it never buffered once.

The thing is that he has a VPN and the IPTV service would only work if he was using a US server. But he said that's only at weekends?

I was VERY impressed with how it worked and the quality.

IPTV that I use is from a friend who set it up himself, he's not greedy and therefore for £60 per year, we get near perfect service.

IPTV will buffer slightly, or glitch every now and again, but on the whole it's fantastic. Running it through a ZGemma 2s box you can get full 7 day EPG aswell as recording, pausing, rewinding feature.

Yes it is illegal, but until Sky/Virgin/BT offer something that's affordable, you'll find millions of people still using card sharing and IPTV.

Always fancied this, but always assumed the service would be hit or miss (steams/services going down)... seemed like a hassle to continuously update things.

I use IPTV and with a required minimum broadband connection of 7mb (depending on the service provider for both ISP/IPTV), it streams very well. So much I can watch UHD movies via the IPTV provider. Never misses a heartbeat, and when it does, i reboot the router, simple.

IT is a case of finding the best IPTV out there and there are some major con artists/businesses.

Of course, some will say it is illegal, but so is speeding.

IPTV that I use is from a friend who set it up himself, he's not greedy and therefore for £60 per year, we get near perfect service.

I still don't understand how it works? How can your friend simultaneously stream all of his Sky channels to you and others and allow them to be recorded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom