Question IPS Glow / Backlight Bleeding - How "bad" is my TV?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Oxford89, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Oxford89

Oxford89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys! I know there are a few discussions about that but I don't really know what to do. I bought a Samsung MU6400 49" (UK) for GBP 380 which arrived just yesterday. I couldn't deliver the TV to my home address so had to take it all the way from work back home (thanks to Uber).

This is my first TV after 8 years and I wanted a TV with very good input lag as I wanted to use my Ps4 Pro with it. I opend Prime Video to see how good it is and was a bit disappointed. I am not sure what the issue is and if it's IPS Glow or Backlight Bleeding (or both) but wanted to get your thoughts as I don't really know what to expect from a TV below GBP 400.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Direct links to pictures:
    https://i.imgur.com/9HQw6Y2.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/FZ1qqI9.jpg

The shop I ordered it from (ebay) accepts returns for unused products within 30 days. Not sure if I should try Samsung or that shop and ask for a refund and look for something else or try my luck with a new model - or just keep it and get used to it. What do you think?

Thank you for reading!!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  2. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,535
    I can never get get a good answer to if this is light bleed or as you say a kind of "glow"

I personally would go with "glow" as the LED's are just doing a crap job of lighting up the dark parts in order to light up the light parts.

But let me tell you this. Samsung will just laugh in your face. No really. I had the same on my JS9000 when new'ish and they just replied with "its a feature of the TV and its technology" and prompted me to dump my calibrated settings and go for their settings pull out of their backsides to help with the situation.

Unless you set is doing what mine was, they or the seller wont care. I'd consider this as light bleed.

IMG_3832-1.jpg IMG_3830.jpg

The screenshots you have taken will induce this effect. It's just the nature of edge lit TV's when you display credits on black backgrounds or pausing the screen and it showing up the timebar etc. But yours does look pretty bad.

Some will cope better than others. While mine is in warranty hell I'm using the daughters 32" Sony, no idea about the model number (it was just some Sony on sale for £249 at Tesco). While it's not 4K, HDR and half the screen size, the screen uniformity beats a £4000 Samsung flagship all to hell.

The bigger the screen, usually the more it's a problem. It is kinda pot luck at that price point. Al i can say is (again), you wont get anywhere with Samsung.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,406
    Unlike yours his TV doesn't have local dimming, so that aspect isn't a factor.

@Oxford89 As invisiblekid says it's something that's difficult to comment on from photographs as many exaggerate the effect.

It does look like it's the uniformity of the screen rather than viewing angle effects though, the latter would be concentrated around the edges.

Ultimately if it's distracting you during normal viewing then it's unsatisfactory and I'd be returning it.

4. Jp712111

Jp712111
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    So i bought a 55 inch Mu6400 tv from argos back in february and its only now that ive noticed theres something wrong, its not perhaps backlight bleeding but maybe the opposite? Just look at the attached photos but its only most noticable on 'movie' mode as opposed to dynamic and such.
    Does anyone have advice? as argos have to somehow prove that i had this problem from the start when i got the tv and i mean i dunno how the hell they or i would prove that.

Attached Files:

5. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    That looks almost like the bevel around the TV is fitted poorly and is "pinching" the panel, to be honest, I would have noticed that defect in the first 12 seconds of turning it on.