1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPronto

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by cj, Nov 18, 2003.

1. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Picked up an iPronto today - couldn't resist such a nice bit of kit. Will get to have a play later...

2. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    CJ,

What do you think of the ipronto now you have had it for a week? I must say I really fancy one, but at £1300 for a remote I will have to do a lot of reading up to make sure it's as nice as it looks. My house is already wireless network capable with broadband and I have a dedicated home cinema so this seems the next logical toy to buy!!

Cheers,

3. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    It's a really, really nice bit of kit - if you like gadgets, then you'll love it. You have to use it via a wireless network - you would be missing out on most of its functionality without one. The internet browser and screen size is more than than adequate to surf on. The EPG is excellent, although it doesn't cover every single Sky channel (there are a few missing, mostly the "+1" channels). Has a great interface though. I'm a little disappointed that I can't stream video onto it though (either via the browser, or for example via a DivX application), although I can't imagine it will be long before Philips make this functionality available.

Oh yes - and the remote control presentation is superb:- I also have a Pronto Pro, and the iPronto display completely blows it out of the water (although it's no easier to program).

The one thing I wish I'd checked was the price of the NetX IR wireless extender - this is a £100 option for a Pronto Pro, but costs £350 for the iPronto... (yes I know it's completely different technology - Ir over WAN rather than 2.4 Ghz), but I though it was a bit steep.

In summary - don't go and demo one unless you're prepared to buy one, and I'd also take a look at getting one from the USA. AFAIK the unit are identical, and you choose which EPG you want online (Europe or USA) so there's no problem there.

4. theroohster

theroohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really fancy an I-Pronto, but will it all work without the wireless networking?
    Im not really interested in having a web connection (got a fab pc with broadband for that)or the epg.
    Can you program/customise it via a pc hooked up with a usb cable?

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Its only programmable via Wi-Fi at the moment but it does have a USB port so eventually I suppose Philips will turn it on (it also has a SD card slot....), I'm with the technical guys from Philips tomorrow so i'm sure the subject of iPronto's will come up......