1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod wall mounting or touch screen jukebox

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by grahamricho, Oct 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi I want to put a plasma or lcd tv in the new kitchen we are having done,i would like a cd/mp3 jukebox i was thinking about buying a ipod and putting all my cd on it so you can have music while you cook. what i wanted to know was :

1) Can you wall mount a ipod ? ( is there a purpose wall mount kit)

2) Can you plug the output from a ipod into a half decent amp and get half decent sounds,i have a Sony dvd/amp in the kitchen which is a bitcrap in the stereo stakes.

3) Is there anything better than a ipod size does not matter to store music cd,s on or even some dvd video footage on.
    I would like something with a a decent touch screen mounted on the wall and i can choise from 100 or so cds at the touch of a button,is there any at reasonable prices ?

hope it all makes sense.graham

2. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    just hooked our Iriver up to the dining room HIFI Via a 3.5mm Jack plug to 2phono lead(4 pounds at maplans) sound it execlent

Our unit came with a docking station(dosnt wall mount) so it sits on that and is charged/powered

for 100cd you would only need 10GB

im bias towards the Iriver........... :) go to PC world/curreys SS and see for yourself........but buy from MillerPC or similer for best price gl

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    What about storing all your CDs (in whatever format) on a PC on the network and then using something like the Roku Soundbridge (www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge) to play them either hardwired or wireless?

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    How about a modified Xbox? You can get them 'chipped' with larger hard drives on.

You can then use a bit of software called Xbox Media Center to play MP3s, DVDs, divx, whatever you can throw at it (oh, and play xbox games too!). XBMC can either copy mp3s from your PC to its hard drive (over the network or burn CDs), or stream mp3s from PC over network (it can use samba shares, so no server software needed on your PC), or you can rip audio CDs directly on the xbox (it even gets the tracklistings from freedb)

You can control via IR remote, and either connect up to a TV, or you can get a little LCD panel to plug in, which you can use to navigate playlists/tracks etc. (4 line jobby, bit like on ipod)

I use one in my lounge, and I'm about to buy another one for the spare room purely for mp3 streaming and streaming Tivo files (I can watch a recorded program while the missus is watching something else on Tivo in the lounge)

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Yeah the Xbox is great but is a bit noisy, pretty poor quality even for MP3s and as far as I was aware could not be wall mounted (without using a shelf or some kind of custom bracket). Very flexible machine though :D

6. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ^^ i wouldnt want to even try mounting a xbox on a wall, the wall could come crashing down at any minute! ;)

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Yeah, and the vibrations from the fan would probably bring next doors walls down as well. And I live in a detached house :D

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    :p

The xbox would go in a cupboard, and you could have an LCD on the wall showing the TV output.

Not sure about touch screen support though.

How about xlobby? Route the sound from your PC to some speakers in the kitchen, and you can control it via a Pocket PC with network connectivity (wifi). You could probably mount that in the wall.

For the ipod, you could attach a little FM transmitter to it (itrip?), and then just tune in a radio to the output. Then you could just mount the ipod in a little cabinet or something and also take it with you when you are out and about.