1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod volume

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by solo_1138, Mar 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. solo_1138

solo_1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i've finally bought my Ipod 30gb photo and i have to say i'm very impressed. After using Sonic stage with my discman for the last year, i find I-tunes amazing. And the controls on the I-pod make life so easy. I am a convert!

However, whilst people use to (and still do) moan about the Sony volume, my Ipod volume doesn't seem to go that much louder - am i doing something wrong?

I'm recording everything at 256kbs from CD - am i missing something?

Otherwise very happy with my choice - thought about the 40gb but that extra £20 bought the protective case (essential) and i don't think i'll get bored of the 'limit' i've lost from not taking that extra 10gb.

Volume help would be much appreciated.

Solo

2. kinginter

kinginter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The low volume is because of an EU-imposed restriction on audio players. It's set in the iPod's firmware, and while utilities like EuPod can adjust each individual track volume settings, they don't adjust the firmware settings. So, when you connect your iPod to iTunes again the volume settings go back to normal.

There are other utilities that change the firmware setting, which does the job properly. The best I've seen is goPod:

http://gopod.free-go.net/index_en.htm#

which is available in Mac, Windows and Linux flavours.

Note that even with these utilities though, when you update your iPod's firmware with an Apple update (they come out about every month or so) the firmware setting is replaced to normal, and you have to use goPod (or whatever) to adjust the firmware settings for volume again.

4. solo_1138

solo_1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys - really appreciated

5. freeman

freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Can't you just select all (ctrl a) in I-tunes & raise the volume on all tracks?
    It works with my g3 40gb.

6. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    That doesn't affect the max vol limit, i.e. it won't take your volume over the EU volume limitation.

7. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another poster has correctly said that you just need to select tracks in iTunes (you can select multiple tracks), and then 'Get Info' and use the volume slider to up the volume by say 100%. Do this all the time with both iPod and iPod Shuffle. Mayb e it doesn't breach the technical EU limit but max vol on the iPod is then far too loud for my ears at least!

There are other utilities to get round the limit but I'm only familiar with those for Mac, not PC. The iTunes fix presumably works on iTunes for PC.

Happy listening!