ipod video 30gb problem

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by barneybelly, Mar 17, 2006.

Tags:
  1. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

hope somebody canhelp me out or point me in the right direction.

Last week uploading new mp3 into i tunes i was asked if i wanted to update itunes so i said yes...i then installed new updates and plugged in my ipod video to update.
    I then returned and my itunes was showing there was still 1800 or so songs in there and that it was safe to disconnect my ipod.....so far so good!!
    i then plugged my ipod into my idock station to play in the house but nothing came up...no songs no nothing!!
    i then checked my ipod to see that there was nothing in the ipod..no tunes no photos no vids....zilch...so it looked as if the last update of itunes had wiped my ipod.
    so i then plugged in my ipod via usb so itunes opened automatically and i have it set so that the ipod is updated automatically...when i did this my ipod said it was updating and done all of the 1800 tunes....this took an age but when it was done i checked my ipod and again....no tunes on there whatsoever!!!!
    i tried this a couple of times and still no joy...strange thing is when i plugged in my ipod, itunes indicated there was 10 gb of data used even though there was nothing at all on the ipod when i tried to play it.
    So i then tooke the drastic action of deleting my whole library and uninstalling then reinstalling itunes.
    i re registered and put on one album into my now blank library....i then plugged in ipod...it said it was updating the 11 tracks to "davesipod".
    But again...when it was safe to remove ipod i checked it out and no tunes in there whatsover....but it still said at the bottom of itunes that there was 9 gb of the ipod used.....were???? were have these songs gone on my ipod if i can't get or see them on the ipod itself!?!?!?!?
    Hope someone out there can help...its wrecking my head..:mad: .hopefully its something straightforward that i'm missing but thats were u folks come in....
    thanks in advance....:lease:

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Are these iTunes Music Store purchased songs or CD's you ripped yourself?

3. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its a mixture of mp3's and music cd's i've transferred on.no itunes purchased music at all.

4. julies90

julies90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the exact some thing happen on my new video ipod. I finally did a complete restore which completely erased my music and reformatted my ipod. It took a little while to load all my music back on it, but now it works fine. I also have had only the music portion of the menu disappear after I added some photos to it. My videos and photos were there, but I couldn't access my audiobooks and music, and had to do a total restore again. This sort of thing happens to me all the time, hence why I mostly use my Sony HD5. I have never had to do a restore, or reset or anything with my Sony, it just always works for me.

5. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    julies90, how did you do a system restore then?
    i have removed and reinstalled progra, but having the same problem...i take it theres something different than this that u did?

6. julies90

julies90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    julies90, how did you do a system restore then?
    i have removed and reinstalled progra, but having the same problem...i take it theres something different than this that u did?

You can do a restore on your ipod by using the ipod updater. I find the updater by going to the start button, then programs, then ipod, and to the right of that is the updater tool. It seems like you have the option there of resetting the ipod, or complete restore. Choose restore.

7. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that julies90...it worked a treat....just a shame i spent nearly £200 on an item that needed to be rebooted to work properly!! so much time taken to put songs back on!!