1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod Updater 2005-06-26 help.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by vRSNutter, Sep 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. vRSNutter

vRSNutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there,just about to update my (second) ipod with Updater 2005-06-26 but on reading the requirements noticed that it says Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or later, or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later is required.

Now,the reason i am posting is because the last time i tried to update i totally killed my first ipod and had to send it back to apple.At the time my pc had a dodgy hard drive (now replaced) and i figured that was the reason why my ipod died but now having read the requirements i am wondering if it could be because i only have service pack 1 installed.

Does anyone have any idea as to wether i can update now, has anybody else done so ?, or should i install service pack 2 first.Any help gratefully received as i don't really want to kill another innocent ipod :suicide: .

Thanks,Mark

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    firstly, i would, but thats just my opinion :D

just to be safe id install sp2, unless you have dialup, in which case id say get broadband!

3. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,945
    I think you should just be able to install service pack 4 for windows 2K without having to go through the earlier service packs.
    This quote is taken from the Microsoft site:-
    Edit - I've just read your post again and am not sure if you have XP or W2K on your computer now ! If it's XP make sure you update to the latest SP2 and if it's W2K make sure you are on SP4.

4. vRSNutter

vRSNutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    JohnG, i am on xp,should have made my post a bit clearer.

Guess i'll have to bite the bullet and install sp2,although i'm sure something will go wrong as it always does when i do anything like this,and i'll end up re-formatting and starting from scratch. :(

Thanks for the replies though,

Mark.

5. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    If you are on dial up, pcworld will give you a free service pack 2 disk.

6. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The nature of XP and SP2 allows rollback in the case of problems. I'm surprised SP2 hasn't sneaked on your computer if you've kept it updated.

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two points re: XP and service packs. Firstly, the 'roll-back' achieveable using System Restore is far from perfect (as I've discovered to my cost countless times for countless reasons). Second, SP2 is rather large for most ... so it could only have 'sneaked on your computer' if you choose to have XP automatically update itself. Which I don't, as Microsoft's patches and security updates sometimes cause conflict with third party software. I find it preferable - though slower - to update bit by bit, so that the System Restore function is likely to function more effectively should any update prove to stop another piece of useful sofware from working correctly. As has happened on a few occasions ...