Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

iPod (Un)reliability

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by davehk, May 31, 2005.

Tags:
  1. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I bought my 40G 4G in January. It doesn't get heavy use and the HD died this weekend.

The local Apple authorised service centre has a 3 week waiting list to look at iPods - apparently they are dropping like flies.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,432
    and you didn't drop/knock it? 3 weeks? oh well.....at least any repair would be free....good luck :)

edit: dropping like flies? your words / Apple when you phoned up / or impression you got from speaking to Apple?

3. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    hiya dave :)
    sorry to hear you're having problems :( i've had my 40gb 4g since late july/early august last year and haven't had any problems [*touch wood*] i use mine everyday and hook it up to both my computer and stereo/dvd system with different docks.
    not sure if it matters but i got mine in the states. unless the next gen is absolutely stunning i'll be holding on to it for some time still [seeing as it appears to be pretty reliable] and wait for 6-7th gen ones.
    hope you get it sorted swiftly
    regards
    monsieurblack

4. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The impression I got when speaking to the service centre. The exact words were "we're getting floods of calls on them".

And I didn't drop or knock it - but even if I had, provided it was switched off it should withstand quite a shock - several 10's of G is typical of modern drives.

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I never had my 20gb 4G die on me, but it locked up about 10 times in the 6 months that I owned it.