iPod Touch or iPhone plus Global Cache to control home cinema - how

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
In our most recent podcast we discuss how the combination of an iPod Touch or iPhone plus a wi-fi to IR converter like the Global Cache GC-100 can be a cheap but powerful solution.
I would need to control the lutron lights, the electronic screen, the PS3, the Denon DVD player, the Denon amp and the Barco 1209 projector.
Which iPhone remote application is best?
Which GC-100 would I need to buy?
How does the system learn the existing IR signals?
Any other tips for setting it all up together?

In our most recent podcast we discuss how the combination of an iPod Touch or iPhone plus a wi-fi to IR converter like the Global Cache GC-100 can be a cheap but powerful solution.
I would need to control the lutron lights, the electronic screen, the PS3, the Denon DVD player, the Denon amp and the Barco 1209 projector.

how i will probably do it when i get time.

i would use the crestron iphone/touch app. (with a crestron QM-RMC)
the smallest GC-100 would be enough for me, combined with the qm-rmc.
ill use the CNX-LIR to learn the codes (i think some of the apps about have common codes in them already)

probably not much help to you, but an answer none the less.

What sort of money are we talking about here?

Cheers

Fulltopuk

There was a company exhibiting at CEDIA, just a couple of shell schemes down from you.

Bobby - Universal Remote Control software for the Apple iPhone and iPod Touch

I would love to have the time to try it out as it could be a great little add on for clients.

V.

I saw that on the apps store but the little feedback it had was poor, but some people expect to much, the one written bit of feedback was of someone who clearly expected it to morph his Iphone into a Pronto with little or no setup.

At £14.99 if you have a GC-100 its worth a go IMO

Crestron mobile is the best in my opinion. It's free but you'll need a crestron processor with LAN card and a WAP with LAN port for it. You can get some of the older processors fairly cheap on ebay but you need to make sure it's got a LAN port (they are pricey new).

You'll also need to write a crestron vt-pro and simpl program to use it but really not that hard to do for a simple system. IR files can generally be found online - google what you're after/ remote central.com

I've just done a project with one itouch that has controls of lights, blinds, AC and all TV/ music systems for all the rooms using the free app and it works a charm. All things considered a very cheap control system compared to one with touchscreens/ gateways in each room...

Have a look at OpenRemote.
This allows what you want to do, for I assume a reasonable price.
The website has recommendations on which IR transceiver is best suited etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom