• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Ipod Touch Display questions

bwfc0907

Hi

I'm a newbie with very little understanding of this subject.

How many colours can the ipod touch display? I cannot find the answer anywhere.

Will a screen size of 4" 640x480 260k TFT give a better or worse image than the touch.

I'm trying to decide if a touch plus a standalone satnav is better than a pda with integrated gps (Ipaq 214). Main use would be as a media player.

I have posted in here as I fancy the touch. However I am worried about how small the screen is (despite only a 1/2" smaller than on the ipaq I think it may be better for viewing) and that come October a 2nd gen machine may be out.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Dont get too tied up in colour depth. the Touch is very good. And there are other issues, like viewing angles, contrast ranges, pixel density, performance in sun light etc that decide how good a screen is.

ver

Dont get too tied up in colour depth. the Touch is very good. And there are other issues, like viewing angles, contrast ranges, pixel density, performance in sun light etc that decide how good a screen is.

I had the touch for xmas from the wifey and all I can say is its a amazing! I wasnt too fussed by it initially but now I'm going to sell my video ipod. (wifi connects flawlessly, screen is good and the touchscreen is intuative)

I too thought about a pda/gps combo or a standalone gps after my old tomtom failed. I went for a tom tom again as the gps fix is so quick to get satellite and its so user friendly and plug and play. (I have used tomtom on a HTC Tytn Phone and also have the N95 8g and deffo recommend tomtom and touch - but if you were looking at designated media player what about an archos system with the bigger screens?

bwfc0907

I had the touch for xmas from the wifey and all I can say is its a amazing! I wasnt too fussed by it initially but now I'm going to sell my video ipod. (wifi connects flawlessly, screen is good and the touchscreen is intuative)

I too thought about a pda/gps combo or a standalone gps after my old tomtom failed. I went for a tom tom again as the gps fix is so quick to get satellite and its so user friendly and plug and play. (I have used tomtom on a HTC Tytn Phone and also have the N95 8g and deffo recommend tomtom and touch - but if you were looking at designated media player what about an archos system with the bigger screens?

Want more than the Archos can offer and am not willing to pay for the extras just to get it to work.

The screen size is very small on the touch(despite only 1/2 an inch less and the pda is 640*480) is it watchable?

The resolution of the pda is higher will this improve the picture quality or just make it bigger. I would have thought a screen with 260k would give good results?

How good is the touch for surfing on sites like skysports? Is it easy to read stories in full, my previous pda was very poor in this respect?

ver

Want more than the Archos can offer and am not willing to pay for the extras just to get it to work.

The screen size is very small on the touch(despite only 1/2 an inch less and the pda is 640*480) is it watchable?

The resolution of the pda is higher will this improve the picture quality or just make it bigger. I would have thought a screen with 260k would give good results?

How good is the touch for surfing on sites like skysports? Is it easy to read stories in full, my previous pda was very poor in this respect?

Well I was used to viewing stuff on the ipod video so the larger screen the touch offers is great.

How often would you be using it to view? I would guess occasional commute on the train or something? I don't see it being a designated video viewer but an all round great device capable of alot. I have used the N95 to view websites and connect wirelessly and it is nothing in comparison to the touch. It really is great at viewing sites as you can zoom in and the typing of urls are pretty good. Obviously its only via wifi.

In terms of quality of screens I can suggest pop into carphone warehouse or O2 and sample the iphone? I believe they are similar or the touch maybe bigger?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom