iPOD TO NEW PC

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jason44mag, Aug 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. jason44mag

jason44mag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi All

Basically looking for some help !

The thing is i was sharing itunes & pc with my dad but new laptop is on the way so i want to separate the two ipods etc.

At the mo we share the pc but when i rip cds i drop them into his play list or mine, these files are stored on a external drive.

What id like to do is delete my files off his pc then install itunes on my new laptop and get my files onto the laptop if you see what i mean ?? then he will have his itunes & music files on his pc and i will have my music that i have alreaqdy ripped on my laptop!

Want im worried about is installing itunes on my new lappy then plugging in the ipod for itunes to just wipe my songs off the ipod.

Any help would be appreciated - sorry if it sounds confusing. :smashin:

2. Twuntenstein

Twuntenstein

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

In iTunes you have iPod settings which allow you to choose if you automatically sync to iPod or not - just turn this off and it should allow you to plug in no problem. also look for a program called sharepod if you want to copy from your iPod to your PC to store your music. :smashin:

3. Flugzeugler

Flugzeugler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Do a search for a shareware programme called ipodutils.

You can download it free. All that happens if you don't register it is that nag messages appear at intervals, but otherwise it is fully functional.

I made sure that iTunes was disabled before I connected my iPod to the new PC by going into task manager and stopping ipodservices.exe, qttask.exe, ituneshelper.exe. Then ran iPodutils and easily copied all the stuff off my iPod to the My Music folder. Restarted the PC. Ran iTunes and dragged the My Music folder to the library listing. Finally watched as iTunes diligently copied all the tracks to the iTunes library. A doddle.:cool:

Edit: it is actually called Podutil:

http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/software/podutil.php

4. jason44mag

jason44mag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    thanks guys but ive just thought the desktop pc has all the files on an external hd, my new laptop will have all the files on a external hd.

Could i copy the music files from the pc external to the laptop external the plug the lappy external into the lappy and point itunes to this file?

5. Flugzeugler

Flugzeugler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I can't see why not.

6. ABC1

ABC1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just go to Edit/Preferences/General and change the folder/drive that Itunes saves its music and this will take care of it.