Ipod to HiFi connection?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by JimDav, Mar 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. JimDav

JimDav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the best method of connecting an Ipod to a hifi system. Can you get a decent sound quality using a '3.5mm jack to 2x RCA' cable, or are there docking cables available that use the Ipod's dock connector?

2. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    The best method ive found is to use the universal ipod dock with an AV cable through to the HiFi / TV. I also bought the small apple ipod remote and this seems to work perfectly. I tried just an 3.5mm jack to Rca cable at first but it just didnt seem as "nice" as the dock does.:smashin:

I bought the dock and remote from Apple but the cable i bought from an on line retailer for only £6 and it works very well.

There are cables only that use the dock connection but i havent tried this method as i find the Universal dock far better along with the remote facility.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    As KevH says, if you want it to look snazzy and have remote control capability then the dock is the way to go. However if you just want to link to the HiFi then purchase a decent dock to phono lead.

I've only tried the headphone jack to phono so far which sounds pretty good but I'm sure the proper line-out feed is superior.

4. mattals

mattals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How would you use the propper line out, what cables would i need !!

5. JimDav

JimDav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am considering the Kensington dock as this has AC adaptor & remote 'in the box' rather than buying separate as, it seems, you have to do with the Apple universal dock.
    One thing puzzles me though.... The 'line out' on these docks is a 3.5mm jack, is this not just a 'port-through' of the headphone jack? It should be just as good, then, to just use a 3.5mm to RCA cable sraight from the Ipod as long as you don't need charging or remote control.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    No, it will be a port through of the line-out connectors that are part of the dock connection point at the bottom if the iPod. Hence it should be superior to the headphone jack because, among other things, it will bypass the volume control circuitry.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
  8. Davy

Davy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I use a 'Monster' cable, purchased for around £20 for a 2 metre length, on the net. Connect to iPod headphone socket and amp - works fine for me.

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I've been impressed by the output from the headphone socket too, but the line out via the dock connector is supposed to be better still.

10. Ipmack

Ipmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to be michevious, you could always get an XBox 360.
    Just connect the ipod to the xbox via the standard USB cable, then optical out to the amp and ... well sound quality is pretty good (although currently through my Mordaunt short genies - the KEF Q60s are in the attic).

Additionally you get to save the money you would have spent on a remote and get to use the Xbox controller (I'd recommend the wireless one)

11. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    There are some oddities about the Universal Dock connection that I've been looking at that means it may not be the best way to connect. At the simplest level you're looking at a thinner sound. If you want to pick extreme nits the sound quality may be slightly off as well.

I can actually get a slightly better signal out of the headphone out when set a bit off full blast or the analog line out (the Universal dock takes a digital feed fromthe iPod and squirts it though it's own DAC-chip to enable volume control via the remote... but this seems to be a bit stunted for some reason). Unless you need volume control, you're better off using the older docks if they fit (haven't tried... got rid of them all!) or a Sendstation Pocketdock.

12. JonHarper

JonHarper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like you can get some pretty good integration with the docks from Griffin http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tunecenter/index.php and DLO http://www.dlo.com/products/homedoc_dx_Prod.tpl

I think they're both new products and I'd be interesetd in reading a comparison between them. Griffin appear to be using the iPod screens and DLO have used their own.

If you just want mp3's on your HiFi and aren't worried about using your iPod then you could use Freecom's network MediaPlayer http://www.freecom.com/ecproduct_detail.asp?ID=2594&CatID=8060&sCatID=80604&ssCatID=80604

Jon

13. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
  14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
  15. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pin-dock to RCA cable option is without doubt the best possible connection for quality with its optimal signal transfer, transparency and optimised volume capability. The Y-leads phono docking option is second best but loses volume and dynamics whilst the headphone phono output option is the worst.

16. JonHarper

JonHarper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    If you click on "More Images" and then take a look at the Full Size pic of the connection panel at the back, you'll see it just above the RS-232 connector, clearly marked iPod. It looks a bit like a big s-video socket, but with more plugs. The amp comes with the relevant cable.

And you're right - it is a monster :D

18. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is one helluva amp mate - cool! More and more manufacturers are inlcuding an Ipod input.

Dil

19. Confused40

Confused40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have a 30gb ipod, a Sony DAVS880 Home Cinema System. I bought and Ipod AV Cable today hoping to play my music round this Sony but despite plugging in the coloured leads nothing is happening.

Anyone help me :lease:

20. sjackson

sjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539

TuneCenter on eBay for £50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Griffin-TuneCenter-Home-Media-Center-for-iPod_W0QQitemZ8767886698QQcategoryZ25446QQcmdZViewItem

21. bazlington

bazlington
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does anyone know when the Griffin Tunecenter is going to be released for general sale?

Chris

22. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the Kensington Stereo dock and I'm very pleased with it. Cost me £44 from Amazon which is considerably cheaper than the Apple universal dock and remote.