1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod to Hi fi

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by gazzerr, Jun 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's a decent cable to connect an I pod to Hi Fi. What Hi Fi recommend a 50 quid monster cable but that seems a bit over the top to me.

2. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    First of all get the dock for 25 quid as it improves the sound by a great deal. Then get a good 2 phono to mini jack cable from Mark Grant for 25 quid.

3. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    £25!!!!! You can get a phono to 3.5mm jack cable for £7 from argos!

Gazzerr, you don't have to get an iPod dock, it will work fine if you plug the cable into the headphone socket of the iPod. Although Gerbilly is right, it will sound waaaaaay better if you use the line-out on the docking station.

As to which cable to get, it depends on what the input on your hifi is. It will either be phono, or 3.5mm jack. So you either need to get a jack to jack cable, or a jack to phono. But don't spend more than a tenner on the cable, you really won't notice the difference.

4. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Mcfarfs go to the hifi section or the cables section and tell them that one you will get laughed out of town. :rotfl:

You should defo buy the dock as the sound without this is very muted. This is why McFarfs hates the i-pod he heard it connected to a hifi without the dock. It improves the sound to as good as original source.

If your hifi has spare phono connections like AUX then connect your Pod to this via a mini jack to phono cable. I use 2 the mark grant one for my hifi and an ixos one (£14) on my home cinema system. If you use a freebie cheap cable it will not sound as good and this was ludicrous statement for McFarfs to make especially if you have a very good hifi system

5. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well if you have to spend £25 on such a cable to enjoy your music, then I pity you! It's an expensive hobby!

I personally can't tell the difference between a thin jack to phono cable that came with my dads 20 year old hifi, and my Cambridge Audio jack to phono which cost £10. And if that means I will get laughed out of town, then so be it! (Better than wasting £25+ on a cable).

6. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,157
    Buying a dock will switch the iPOD from headphone output to line out output. I use it all the time with my sony mp3 player. Just make sure you buy the dock and a good phono to heaphone connector. The dock is essential without it sound is muted and so unsharp its untrue.

7. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,224
    Depending on the quality of your kit you may want to try a middle ground like this which is a dock connector to phono lead...
    http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=CS11899&N=411
    Logic3 stuff can also be obtained from Maplin and HMV (among others) at around £10.

We use the dock and a decent quality mini-jack to phono lead (from CPC) to connect to a TEAC reference 250. The advantage of using the actual dock is you can charge at the same time - but you will also need the power adapter connected to the dock and AFAIK the dock accessory doesn't come with the power supply or the connecting cable that so that's another expense.

I bought a Logic3 firewire to dock cable and car charger for £10 from Maplin and use the cable to synch the iPod - works as well as the Apple original and the quality seems OK. The Apple synch cable is £15 alone.

There is a lot of guff talked about cable quality but it is true that the quality of leads affects the quality of the sound to a greater or lesser extent. There are differences in digital signal transfer with error correction built in and analogue sound which can be damaged by crappy wires and connectors. Expensive USB and firewire connectors are sillier than expensive HiFi interconnects and speaker cables.

IMHO here is no point in spending £50 on a cable to connect a £200 MP3 player to a £150 stereo to play back 96Kbps MP3 files. If you're using lossless and have spent £500+ on your amp and speakers then £50 is not such a crazy price to pay.

8. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Very well put, Totally agree with you mate. :thumbsup: