1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod to ghettoblaster

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by happyh, Nov 17, 2004.

Tags:
  1. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Please help an ipod novice.
    I've bought mty daughter an ipod mini for christmas. She has asked her grandparents for a cd/radio ghettoblaster. It seems sensible to buy one that can communicate with the ipod.
    Can we get a ghettoblaster that can be used to send cd tracks to the ipod? And can it be used as a remote stereo for the ipod?
    Thanks guys.

2. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    As far as I know, no such thing exists. For something like this to work, the ghettoblaster would have to be a mini-PC. To send tracks to the iPod, it would have to encode the audio into aac, mp3 or AL, then it would have to recognise the iPod as an external harddrive, plus it would have to have software enabling it to transfer data to the iPod.

The best you can do is hook the iPod up to the ghettoblaster and use that to play the iPod's music, but I'm guessing you already knew that and were looking for something more.

3. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that,
    Browsing in Comet yesterday I notice that a couple of the new ghettoblasters have MP3 ports. What are they for?

4. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    mp3 ports? Never heard of them, but if you give me an example (either a link to Comet or just a model number) it'll be easy enough to find out.
    A lot of current micro-systems have mp3 enabled playback, which means if you burned a CD full of mp3s, it would read as they are, perhaps that's what they are referring to.
    Anyway, if you can come up with a comet link or a model number, as I say, it won't be hard to find out. :smashin:

5. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,183
    Some of the philips boomboxes have a USB port - plug them into you PC and it sees the boombox as a USB soundcard and allows you to play MP3 etc. off the hard disk.
    I don't think they're that sophisticated.

6. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    MP3 compatible ghetto blasters play back data CD's burned with MP3 files.

Aiwa does a rather niche line in USB-connected ghetto blasters and hilarious looking mini systems which hooks directly up to your PC, so it will play tracks from a Winamp playlist for example. Con: Your PC has to be within USB-cable range of these boomboxes.

Philips do the ridiculously named 'Streamium' line which is nevertheless handy, being Wi-Fi enbled these days. I believe both of their mini systems offer wireless connectivity from a host server PC. www.streamium.com I can't get info on them as the Streamium site for some reason breaks both IE and FF for me.

Alternatively, you could just buy her a Mini dock and a Line-Out cable, plus a Ghettoblaster tha has a line-in. This would allow playback of tunes from the Mini.

7. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  8. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That does look cool.
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Still looking :)

9. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the third generation ipod it is simply a question of line out from the ipod dock to line in on any decent radio/music centre. This stereo "line in" sockets are usually on the top or back. I don;t know about the mini, but I thought the setup was the same. Anyway any ghetto blaster option has to be cheaper than buying expensive ipod speakers...

10. stumoff

stumoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm Looking for a ghetto blaster with a line input for my ipod, but finding it hard to find any. I'm sure there must be one and reading this forum confirms that. Can anyone suggest some brands / models.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Stu..

11. freeman

freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Have you tried the mixer mic input on one?

I tried the mic input on my old (10 years +)Sony one & nearly had a heart attack :thumbsup: The volume must have been nearly twice that of using the phono line in input :cool: