1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod to amp?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by gadgetman, Jan 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. gadgetman

gadgetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Okay just received my 20gb ipod. Already filled 13gb beginning to wonder if I should have gone for the 40gb but never mind. I was going to get a new car radio/ mp3 player , but then decided that I would like to listen to my mp3s stored in one place on the computer through my amp. I then considered a unit to do this. But stop why not have an ipod that I could use on the move as a walkman, in the car and through my hifi.
    Question is what is the best way to link ipod up to amp. I can see lots of car units to do it through fm radio. Is this the best way?

ideas please.
    gadgetman

2. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Unless you can connect via cassette then the fm way is the best.

3. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Just plug one of these into an available input on your amp. The other end into your iPod and play!

4. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    For your car, there's a few solutions. Check this out.:smashin:

5. mambojambo

mambojambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i have said lead and find the volume on my amp needs to be turned up to almost full to be able to hear my mp3 player(not ipod)

6. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    For that money I would get this.
    That way you can utilise the line out and not the headphone out.

If you get a normal firewire lead you can charge it by the hifi aswell with the power adapter that comes with your ipod.

edit: :blush: sorry just re read original post, gadgetman are you refering to your home or in-car amp?

7. Shagga

Shagga
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I went for the Griffin Technology iTrip via FM. Works great in the car and even better at home. Fantastic for parties.... :thumbsup:

8. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I got the iTrip too and whilst it was fine if you only travelled locally it worked fine but if you went out of the area the frequency you'd chosen would be overpowered by another radio station. And changing frequency is not something I'd recommend whilst driving!!!

Never tried it at home. The lead is cheaper though and as Shagga said the iPod is fantastic for parties!

9. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    My car stereo has a front-mounted 3.5mm jack so all I do is to use a mini-mini cable.

I miss the ease of being able to sit the iPod in a dock like the Podgear Cardock and then just for it to work/charge without further fiddling. The NW-HD3 that I'm using right now is only a bit worse than the iPod as far as amped quality / sound level is concerned (at least as long as it's 256K or below... the HD3 doesn't support Lossless like Apple), but it's a royal pain in the arse to set up for car use compared to the iPod.

As others have said you can use a cable to connect it to the car stereo (many can be adapted to present 2 RCA sockets somewhere, and you can also get stereos like mine with fascia mounted input), then get yourself a ciggy socket mounted cradle like the aforementioned Podgear Cardock. This will give you the highest quality and the most convenient way to use the iPod in the car.

As for home use, someone mentioned the Qunex J2P cables. I'd connect that to an Apple cradle for home and use the charger with that arrangement, so that the iPod charges while it's playing on your amp.