iPod Speakers!!!!!

S

Slickmj

Hi

After searching hi and low for ipod speakers, i have come up with a shortlist. They are:

Bose Sounddock
Apple iPod Hifi
Altec Lansing im7
JBL Radial (Coming Soon)

Can anyone PLEASE tell me which is the better in terms of sound quality to price ratio.

Thanks

[email protected]

Novice Member
I have used both the im7's and the sounddock. The sounddock definatly is trhe better of the two in terms of sound quality. From what i rememeber the im7's had a bit more volume to them though. The only thing that puts me off the Altecs is their size.

S

Slickmj

Thanks a lot guys. Only 1 thing putting me off the sounddock, and thats the steeeeeep price. Does anyone know where i can get 1 for cheap, preferable a black one. Thanks

AMc

Distinguished Member
My partner bought a JBL Onstage at the weekend. You won't believe how good or how loud it is from looking at it. John Lewis in Norwich have a display which allows you to power up the speakers and swap an iPod between them to try them out. We didn't try the dock (too big) but the differences between the JBL and some of the other comparable speaker systems was stunning.

alexs2

This may also interest you...

http://www.audioengineusa.com/

These appear to have had some very decent reviews stateside and the manufacturers are willing to export here for about $120 carriage via UPS.

I was looking into a pair for my own use,and whilst it may come in over budget in some ways,it does look to be a good design.

kevH

Novice Member
If your in the Bose price bracket you may wanna check out the Jamo i300 set up , i dont actually own these but have heard them and they literally blow the Bose out the water. Jamo make very decent speakers, DVD players and home theatre set ups and this iPod set up is no exception. If i was in the market this is the one id buy !!:smashin:

Whatever you do dont do the Bose !! For a fraction of the cost theres far better :smashin:

figoagogo

Have you looked at the Cyruslink LinkDock?

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...archtype=genre

*****By What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision magazine
High Performance iPod Docking Platform
Advanced Neodymium and alloy technology
Integrated amplifier for local playback
Line in / out for LinkCentre system link
Remote Control
Design & audio tuning by CYRUS
4 Speakers Unit
Amplified total power 2 x 4w
Touch sensitive Volume Keys, Remote Volume/ Treble / Bass Control
Compact D.C. Power Adaptor
Line Input
Line Out
CYRUS tuned amplifier
Adaptors to hold all iPod Mini, all iPod, iPod Photo & iPod Video from 15GB to 60GB, all iPod NANO

pablo99

Novice Member
AMc said:
My partner bought a JBL Onstage at the weekend. You won't believe how good or how loud it is from looking at it. John Lewis in Norwich have a display which allows you to power up the speakers and swap an iPod between them to try them out. We didn't try the dock (too big) but the differences between the JBL and some of the other comparable speaker systems was stunning.
The JBL is very good, very compact, and at the price below worth a listen.

http://www.podzone.co.uk/ipod-speakers/on-stage-speakers/

pablo99

AMc

Distinguished Member
Cheaper than John Lewis (£99) but I think she got a 2 year warranty.
Anyway 10/10 for JL actually having a pod with music out and power to the speakers so you could compare. It really was a world of difference to most retailers 'glass cabinet' approach and meant she bought then and there not off to hunt prices online. The only other place I've seen that is the Apple Store in Oxford Street - and you need to take a week off work to queue if you actually want to buy something there!

limegreenzx

Banned
Slickmj said:
Hi

Can anyone PLEASE tell me which is the better in terms of sound quality to price ratio.
A seperates system offers best quality/£ ratio. Get a docking station, amp and speakers.

Of the dedicated ipod systems, the Monitor Audio i-deck is by far the best value - less than half it's original price:thumbsup: . Rating it by sound quality, it still sounds better than the sounddock and the Apple HiFi - I haven't listened to the others.

S

Slickmj

Hi

Thanks for all your replies, and im very tempted by the iDeck, but just a few questions about it.

Ive read that the ideck doesnt have the same bass levels as the ipod hifi. If anyone has heard both, can anyone clarify this, as im a r&b/hip hop listener, and would like some bass.

Also, is it possible to take off the speaker grilles to reveal the speakers?

Thanks

Trending threads

Top Bottom