1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod & sony pre-ripped CDs

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Jox, Feb 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Jox

Jox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have the Duran Duran Astronaut CD and I want to back it up to my ipod photo but due to it being copyprotected and 'pre-ripped' it will not allow me to do it? Has anyone managed to do it and if so how?

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By 'pre-ripped' do you mean downloaded from Sony's Connect download service? If so, the DRM encoded within will prevent you using the files with anything other than the system you downloaded it to. That's the case with any DRM system. However, you should be able to burn a CD using the files then rip the CD into iTunes in the usual way. Not ideal, but it should work fine.

3. Jox

Jox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Cd in question is a pre-ripped Cd which comes complete with it's own software based Open MG player, when the Cd is inserted into a PC the CD based Open MG player opens and will play the tracks as desired. Traditional CD programmess (Nero, MediaPlayer etc) can't even open the files! Thus the CD is pre-ripped to work via it's own player. We have tried a typical "disk copy" but this provides an exact copy, with open MG intact.

Explorer cannot see the .WAV files so ITunes will not back-up the tunes.

Check-out the link?
    http://www.currybet.net/archives/000732.shtml

Greedy Execs me thinks!!!. :mad:

4. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems you don't stand much of a chance of copying it, other than playing it on your hi-fi, say, and analogue recording it to the computer. Unless anyone else knows how to rip it...

The album's on the iTunes Music Store, but that means another £7.99. Alternatively, it's bound to be downloadable illegally, but I couldn't possibly condone that. :eek:

Given the circumstances, I simply can't understand how the big music companies doesn't realise that by doing this it is only giving otherwise law-abiding people a reason to download music illegally. DRM is one thing, but preventing people who buy a CD from being able to put the music on a DAP seems to be just taking the money then taking the mickey. :confused:

5. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just seen elsewhere that OpenMG CDs are often readable and rippable directly using iTunes on MacOS X, so if you know anyone with a Mac it might be worth giving it a try.

6. solo_1138

solo_1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the album as well. With Sony software, you can download it through openmg into soundstage so it's ok if you have Sony but you seem to be buggered otherwise.

I'll be in the same boat soon - was about to buy the HD3, but the review of the Ipod in what hifi has swayed me. they said the sound quality was superb.

Let me know if you find a way :suicide:

7. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I would have thought that if you own the CD legitimately, downloading wouldn't really be a problem, would it..??

Otherwise I'm sure I read somewhere about holding the 'Ctrl' key down whilst loading the CD into your PC works.... although that might be for something else entirely, so don't hold me to it... :zonked:

8. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Several months ago I purchased a double CD from Virgins that stated, on the box, that it was "copy protected", never have been able to get it on my IPOD, don't the music companies appreciate the fact that people want to be able to listen to their legitimately purchased music on anything other than a conventional CD player ?

9. twcheang

twcheang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem with my "Hail To The Thief" of Radiohead too. I can't rip it to Atrac3 using SonicStage but I find a solution: I use "Easy CDDA Extractor" to rip the CD into mp3 320kbps, then import these files to SonicStage and convert them to Atrac3.

10. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Had the same problem.

Using Audiograbber with the LAME mp3 encoder and running XP in safemode I successfully created a VBR q0 mp3 that could then be loaded onto the iPod.

The device driver that is installed by the Duran Duran Album is not loaded when in safemode.

Regards,

G

11. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I just put post it notes on the actual security layer on the disc, cellotape and marker pen also work. Then the security crap isn't recognised so it will just rip like a normal CD. By the way these discs are not CD's, these copy protected 'audio discs' have been banned by Philips from using the CD trademark.

12. GlynRichards

GlynRichards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Download a demo of Sony's ACID Pro and use its "Extract Audio from CD" option.