iPod slaughter

paulrwebster

Established Member
Reaction score
This has me confused. I had a nice shiny working five months old iPod photo. On 26th June, a new version of the iPod update software was released. I downloaded it, plugged in the iPod and tried to update. It would not recognise the iPod. I tried to restore, it said there was a disk failure. All that I could get on the iPod was a picture of a folder and a clicking sound. It would not reset.
I sent it back to Apple and yesterday received a replacement iPod. I charged it up overnight, played with the menus, everything looked fine. Enclosed with it was a piece of paper stating that the iPod was formatted to work with a Mac. To use with a PC install the software. So I plug it in, call up the update software, and guess what, same again. I now have a shiny new piece of junk with a folder icon and a clicking sound that will not reset.
Before this I would not have thought it likely, however, is it possible that the latest iPod software kills iPods? Has anyone else upgraded successfully?

does iTunes 4.9 not support the photo's? what have Apple said to you? call 'em again! sorry, can't offer a solution though

Well I Googled the problem and it seems that it is not uncommon to kill an iPod whilst upgrading the software. The answer seems to be to try another USB port or ship it back to Apple. I tried a few USB ports and the fifth one worked and allowed me to restore. Bizarrely, this port would not allow me to transfer tunes to the machine, I had to transfer back to the original USB port. Anyway, all is now working.

Does anyone remember the old days with CD players?

When you wanted it to play, you pressed 'Play'.

When you wanted in to stop, you pressed 'Stop'.

And you didn't have to install upgrades every 2 minutes to keep it working with the latest CDs. And playing a new CD didn't involve running the risk of your player crashing, just because the new CD had been recorded in some special format.

Still, we've made REAL progress since then, eh?

Steve W

paulrwebster said:
This has me confused. I had a nice shiny working five months old iPod photo. On 26th June, a new version of the iPod update software was released. I downloaded it, plugged in the iPod and tried to update. It would not recognise the iPod. I tried to restore, it said there was a disk failure. All that I could get on the iPod was a picture of a folder and a clicking sound. It would not reset.
I sent it back to Apple and yesterday received a replacement iPod. I charged it up overnight, played with the menus, everything looked fine. Enclosed with it was a piece of paper stating that the iPod was formatted to work with a Mac. To use with a PC install the software. So I plug it in, call up the update software, and guess what, same again. I now have a shiny new piece of junk with a folder icon and a clicking sound that will not reset.
Before this I would not have thought it likely, however, is it possible that the latest iPod software kills iPods? Has anyone else upgraded successfully?
I was just looking for this as I've just downloaded 4.9 and bang an ipod that will charge but won't do anything else.

Tried uninstalling, reinstalling, using all USB ports, put pen drive back in and removable drive pops back up put ipod back in nothing.

Any answers other than send it back? It's only 2 months old.

It's o.k.

Held Reset and Menu until logo came up and it's reset and seems to be working.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom