1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod skipping songs

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by leocat, Sep 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. leocat

leocat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just had my ipod mini for about 3 months now. This morning I was flicking through the songs and when I selected the song I wanted it skip to the next one. It has happened on a few songs - not all.

Can anyone help?
    :confused:
    Cheers

2. leocat

leocat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump

3. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A bit of background might help track down the cause of your problem.

Do the songs skip within iTunes too, or just on the iPod? Are the songs tracks that you've ripped yourself from CDs, or are they downloads? Have the tracks been converted from one format to another?

Any other info you can add could help too.

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I had this also. Skipping BACK through the songs seemed to let me select the problematic tracks.

Other than that, I never really found a workaround.

5. leocat

leocat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi

I only just noticed this this morning so I havn't had a chance to see if it happens on itunes yet. I did notice that it is only happening with songs I have donwloaded from itunes.

I select the track and it just skips to the next song ( if shuffling) or goes back to the menu.

I am not very clued up with much of the formatting or downloading business.

Thanks

6. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, when you get back to your computer, try the songs in iTunes. If they skip there, it's probably the song files that are corrupt. Deleting them from the iTunes Library, syncing your iPod, then redownloading and syncing again should solve the skipping.

If the songs play fine in iTunes then the iPod is the likely culprit, in which case it's worth resetting the iPod, and if that doesn't work then restoring it. Look in the FAQs section for info on doing all this.

Keep us posted.

7. leocat

leocat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to be thick but what does resynching mean?

If I delete them from itunes won't that mean I have to buy them again?

8. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you connect your iPod to your computer it's called syncing.

Resetting the iPod (I think that's what you mean when you say 'resynching') is a process where you effectively 'reboot' the iPod (it's really a very small computer, and every now and again it might suffer from software glitches, so you need to reboot it, just like a big computer). Look in the FAQs for details. Very often, resetting an iPod cures any problems.

You can delete them from your iTunes Library without actually getting rid of them permanently. When you delete them from the Library, iTunes asks you if you want to move them to the Recycle Bin (or Trash, if you're on a Mac). Just click Keep Files. They're still on your computer in your music folder, but not in the iTunes Library. You can add them back into your iTunes Library at any time after.

I think that you can redownload them from the iTunes Music Store too (but I'm not certain, I'll do a bit of research into this...).

For reference, have a look at Apple's advice for songs that skip on an iPod:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61018

9. leocat

leocat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi sorry for not getting back sooner.

I basically took the songs off my ipod and then put them back on and this seems to have sorted the problem

Thanks for your help