1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod shuffle?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by LinkinRuss, Feb 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. LinkinRuss

LinkinRuss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi people,

just a quick question. want to buy gf a ipod shuffle but wanted to is it usable via usb 1.0. she doesnt have usb 2.0. any infor would help before i buy.

cheers guys and girls :)

Russ

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
  3. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you buy it from the Apple Store online, here's a discount code that'll get you £8 off over an £80 spend: SURLDLMQUA, so you'll get the 1Gb iPod shuffle for £92.

4. LinkinRuss

LinkinRuss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cheers micks cat and cwick..very helpful. they do a deal in apple store too, if ur a student u get %8 off the total price.

5. Tipsy

Tipsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rus..... is that a online store or a street store? cheers

6. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sadly, the Shuffle is one item they don't discount at The Apple Store for Education!

7. LinkinRuss

LinkinRuss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    damn them. i havent tried yet, but why would they sell 20gb etc at discount rate execpt ipod shuffle?

8. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Shuffle is, I think, about the only singular (as in not an accessory) Apple product they don't discount for students! Don't know why, but they are rarer than hen's teeth at the moment - maybe they will start discounting it when stock isn't an issue.

9. LinkinRuss

LinkinRuss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i thought they would have loadsa stock in..everytime i walk in there i see piles and piles of them stacked up behind the counters. oh hum, she'll have to wait a while..hahaha

10. jesusito

jesusito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cmon!
    why the hell are you going to buy an IPOD SUFFLE??
    no screen, no voice recording, no fm radio..
    just because its brand?come on! apple is trying to brainwash you into buying those crappy...ehm..Mp3 players?
    please, be clever...

why dont you go for an IAUDIO mp3 player?its much better!you wont find any mp3 player like these iaudio ones.
    check them out here:
    http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=1&sort=4a&filter_id=15
    and please, consider this...its a shame seeing how a lot of people is buying those mp3 players because of the brand...really disappointing..

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Why? Perhaps because its one of (if not the) cheapest flash players out there?

As for the lack of the screen, a colleague at work has a creative Muvo with a screen, and thats as good as useless. Only shows whats playing. Well for me, the screen would be used to find what I want to play. When its playing I know what it is. So unless there are 1GB flash players out there with full navigation and at least a 3 line display, Shuffle seems a pretty good option

12. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Shuffles are perfect players for a lot of people, whenever I can't be bothered to use my pod I just grab my brothers flash player. His has a one line of text display though I never find myself using it, only need the screen for the battery indicator and shuffle has that covered with the LED's.

13. LinkinRuss

LinkinRuss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i just dont want to sue it to store mp3 but data storage as well. i think its a very good price to buy and the memory in there is enough for me, well gf at least. i bought her a creative 128mb last year which alone cost me just over £100. so gettin 1gb is a decent enough price. but as usual i want it to be discounted cos im a student, hahahah just like my 20 gb

14. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I think the ipod shuffle is cheap but not very practicle. I got an ipod because my flash mp3 player was just too random and i never knew what might play next. Imagine having 250 songs on your ipod shuffle and never knowing what might be on next! You have to give them credit though, they have made an annoying feature attractive!

15. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    What's annoying about shuffle mode?, I have never used playlists on my ipod, everyone goes on and on about how it can create on the go playlists but I honestly wouldn't even know how to on mine. I have never used any other play method than shuffle, I mean it's hardly gonna jump to any songs I don't like is it.

Also, you can set the shuffle to play songs in order you don't have to set it to shuffle all the time.

16. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    understood, but it could quite easily jump to stuff you aren't in the mood for. Eg, you might want to listen to classical and not be interrupted by a sudden bit of motorhead.

I know you can choose ahead of time what to put on, but for me the point of a large flash player means you can have a variety. You don't always want to listen to that variety all the time.

Simple multiple playlists would have sorted it

17. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if anyone answered your original question.

You can use with usb 1.0 but of course transfer of songs will be painfully slow.

As far as people being 'brainwashed' by the Apple brand I don't think there's anything to bemoan about the fact that for many people a considerable part of their pleasure in ownership and using a device like Apple's Shuffle will stem from the brand. Design will also play a part and again the Shuffle (and pretty much all Apple's products) scores highly again.

But it's not all smoke and mirrors. As an owner I'm amazed by the sound quality (as good as my wife's 3G iPod), iTunes is wonderfully slick software and it's tied into the best online music buying service. Oh and it works witj Apple's AAC codec which is better quality/lower size files than mp3.

If it was all about some intangible brand image then Apple wouldn't have a 2% share of the PC market!

Apple was shrewd in recognising that people's main concern was listening to music at decent quality, so gadgets like FM players and voice recorders are just that. The fact is Apple's iPods are damn fine products, and the competition has yet to emerge though of course this could change in the future.

18. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    And the larger iPods all have playlists. I don't think the shuffle is being marketed as a primrary/solo player though and most peoples gripes about it are based on having it as your only player. If you only want one player then it makes sense to have one with a screen, playlists, more gb etc etc. However if you want/can afford to have two then a shuffle is ideal for a 2nd player, its small, easy to use, cheap, compatible with itunes etc etc. I've got playlists sorted according to styles of music as well as album etc so when I want to use the shuffle I plug it into USB download whatever playlist/lists I'm in the mood for and just go. I've had mine for a few weeks now and wouldn't be without it. Well without either of them tbh.

19. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Interesting review of the Shuffle here, and the follow-up has some interesting comparisons with other players.

20. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    cwick, that article seems unbelievable. Can the diminutive Shuffle really outperform all its bigger siblings and most others too?? If so, I believe this'll have to be my next purchase!!!