1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod shuffle - is it time to send it back?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Cardiff Irons, May 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought two of these for my daughters about a week ago - one is working fine but the other seems to have major problems.

When you plug the ipod into the USB it shows up as a removable disk in "My Computer" and appears to be charging, but isn't recognised by itunes. I've tried restoring the shuffle, but it either doesn't recognise the presence of the device or, if it does, the restore process hangs with the progress bar about quarter of the way along. I've tried reinstalling both ipod and itunes software, but it makes no difference.

Is this a dead shuffle or does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers :smashin:

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning Cardiff,

Sounds like it's dead to me, however - have you tried the shuffle in a different computer? Also, have you tried Apple's shuffle troubleshooting page?:

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ipodshuffle/

If the suggestions there don't resurrect it, there's a link on the page to the online service request form. They'll have it serviced and back to you by return.

Keep us posted.

3. Gugbe

Gugbe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with mind about a week ago.
    Got it fixed by plugging it into a different computer and doing a restore (like yours, a restore hung on my computer)
    Also re-installed iTunes and the iPod software (just in-case)
    Seems to be working fine again now.

4. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. Nope, I think I'm all done with it. I've tried it on a different computer, got latest versions of ipod and itunes, but it still hangs part way through the restore.

Thanks mick's for the apple link - I'll get going with a replacement today. :thumbsup:

5. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm. Tried the online service repair and am getting an error message.

We're Sorry!

We do not have your data in our system. Please contact Apple for assistance.You can find the right phone number for your location by going to Contact Us

Looks like I'm going to have to contact the UK support centre (which is probably located in Bombay).

Does nothing work with Apple? :mad:

6. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's possibly the website playing up and might be worth trying again. Or maybe you have to register it first with them. Did you order it from the Apple Store? If so, you should have an Apple ID automatically.

I don't think the UK support centre is as closely located as Bombay, so avoid it for as long as possible... ;-)

7. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Apple support seems to be either in India or Ireland, luck of the draw which one you get put through to. My experience suggests that the Irish folks are very helpful and know their stuff, while the Indian's offer the usual script-reading service.

8. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the news, Cardiff? Any joy with the online service form? I've been looking around Apple's site and found this page, which gives info on getting an Apple ID, which is possibly what you need:

http://www.info.apple.com/support/howtoid.html/

9. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate, thanks for that. I've already set up an account and I can log into it successfully for the discussion forums etc. But when I go for the online repair service it asks me to log in again and I get the error message. :mad:

10. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's pretty useless. If you're on Windows, have you tried using a different browser than IE? Firefox, say. Also, have you tried doing it from a Mac?

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Where did you buy the shuffles from as you may get more joy with a retailer swap especially if you bought from DSG or similar on the highstreet.

12. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pixmania....need I say more! Actually they do have a returns facility - need to check it out, but I suspect I'll be in for postage at the very least.

Thanks for the suggestions mick's - haven't had a chance to do anything further as I'm stacked at work and busily trying to sort out tickets for the Play Off final on Monday (now sorted I think). :smashin:

13. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any joy with your daughter's shuffle yet Cardiff?

14. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, thanks mick's. I had no joy with the online routre, so I armed myself with 24 hour food supply and a few good books before calling the support line. 20 minutes or so later all was sorted and they sent me a replacement within 48 hours.

Sent the original back yesterday, so barring them pulling a stroke by claiming software error (in which case they'll debit my credit card), it's all been relatively painless. :thumbsup:

15. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, good news. Apple's normally pretty good with after-sales support, and I suppose 20 minutes on a support line's not too bad.

BTW, how do you find the lack of a screen in use? Is it a drawback? My feeling is that it's probably not much worse than my son's cheapo (well, actually no cheaper than the shuffle as it happens) Creative player that only says Track 09 anyway...

16. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't really answer that mate, I don't use them. Daughters haven't complained though. Certainly wouldn't be my thing as I'm normally quite specific about that I want to listen to (I can be quite painful if I'm in company).

On the basis that I've now got the big Freecom 160GB music server, I reckon I might eventually go for a portable with about 5GB. I've become a real iTunes fan, so I'm leaning towards an iPod mini.

17. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rumours are that Apple's buying up all the 2Gb and 4Gb flash chips around (and Samsung and Toshiba are ramping up 8Gb chip production for Apple too). Also, the Samsung chip already used in the shuffle is capable of driving a display, so expect some big changes in iPod flash players over the summer too...

18. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting stuff mick's, cheers. :hiya: