Ipod scratched screen

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Peter Kendrick, Mar 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Peter Kendrick

Peter Kendrick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My wife bought me a 30gb Video Ipod for my birthday from Dixons taxfree store at East Midlands airport. After opening the box and carefully charging it up/trying it out I noticed scratches on the screen. I have not even taken it out yet and can't believe how easily the screen was damaged. I checked out the Apple website and it looks like this is an Ipod problem. This is not the quality i expected for nearly £200 and from the "reputed"? Apple brand.

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Players like the iPod have always scratched easily, but the Video is worst affected because it's totally flat, which reflects light well, and assuming yours is black, shows off scratches better than the white used until now.

You could raise a ruckus about it back at the shop and exchange it, or you could get a screen protector... or what I use, a clear case. My 30 gigger is pristine due to the case, which doesn't add a lot of bulk but gives it a lot of protection.

3. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    extremelydodgy, Which case have you plumped for. It seems to be a minefield when you read reviews on this stuff!

I am looking to get a 30gig and want to sort out protection before I even get the pod. Just wondering what you use, being as your ipod is still pristine.

Ta

4. S//Punk

S//Punk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    obviously im not extremely ddgy but i have a suggestion for you: www.shieldzone.com in my opinion one of the best screen protectors out there.
    ;)

5. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I'd suggest the invisibleshield too if you don't need any impact protection. The advantage of the 'skins' as opposed to cases is that the iPod remains dockable. I use the Agent 18 Videoshield at the moment. I'll pick up the Contour cases whenever I can to try them out. I always liked the relatively bulky but protective Showcase because it makes the iPod totally (almost literally) "Throw-into-a-bag-able", and they have finally released one for the 5G.

Micro Anvika are/should be selling all of the cases you see below.

http://www.contourcase.com
    http://www.agent18.com

6. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    if it comes down to it you should be able to polish out the scratches on the screen with a little brasso or similar metal wadding type polish, works well on mobile phone screens too.

7. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,951
    i have been trying the brasso method and it doesnt seem to be working for me, any ideas on how to do it properly,

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Apple produce a "goo" specifically to take out scratches. Car wax seems to do the trick though.

9. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Just thinking aloud here and maybe im talking absolute b*ll*cks but if brasso works wouldnt something like T-Cut work also ?? Am i right in thinking that t-cut isnt as "aggressive" as brasso ??

Just pleased i "babied" mine from birth and got a film protector and the Agent 18 Videoshield straight on it , now i only have to rub out all the scratches that the missus seems to collect on her car !!! :thumbsdow

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I likewise was surprised that brasso was mentioned as a good option, I always thought it quite an aggressive option only to use as a last resort. T-cut should be a good option for deeper scratches but normal car wax is a less aggressive form of T-cut.

11. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    So Swarfega isnt a viable option then ??? Just we have loads of that lying around in the bedroom !!!! ;)

12. morganog

morganog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    T Cut works great!!

I do my nano all the time with the stuff then polish up with a bit of turtle wax

All you need is a good hour or so of rubbing and the scratches are gone

13. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,951
    an hour? my arm would drop off :eek: