1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod questions

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by obi, Dec 3, 2004.

Tags:
  1. obi

obi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I am thinking of buying an ipod, just wanted to know a few things:

a) What does sync mean?

b) Can I plug it into my car CD stereo?

Thanks in advance

obi

2. GizmoStu

GizmoStu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,

Well, syncing means to synchronise your iPod with iTunes. iTunes is piece of software that you get with the iPod that you use to create a library of your mp3/aac files. It is worth mentioning that the only way to get songs from your computer to your iPod is via iTunes (unless someone has found another way?).

There is an option whereby every time you run iTunes with your iPod connected, it will ensure that the contents of the iPod reflect whatever is in the library (i.e. "syncing" it). My preference is to keep it turned off as I don't really require that degree of automation. It suits some people though.

I've not tried to connect my iPod to a car stereo so I'll let someone else answer that question. However, it can be done as I've seen it done first hand.

3. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Obi,

If your car has an auxillary in(maybe a input jack at the front of the unit) you are laughing; .
    If it is like many others then you can either use an FM modulator to send the signal over the radio waves and tune the radio to recieve them, or there are new products where, if compatable, you can attach the Ipod like a CD changer and be able to control it via the head unit. Dension Ice link is one such device.

I use a modulator for mine and I am not happy, too much noise in the background and the sound is not as dynamic. I will be changing the car soon but may invest in a proper kit then.

4. obi

obi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Cheers for that Gizmostu just wondered what the term Syncing meant. So there is no way that I can use any other Software other than Itunes ti download music onto the ipod?

5. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You can use MusicMatch, which is basically the same as iTunes. You have to get an iPod plug in from the MM site for this to work. They both have very similar functionality.

6. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know how practical it is, but you can have iTunes catalogue your music without moving it from where it is managed by some other software. So using iTunes to sync doesn't prevent you using some other software to maintain your music library.