1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod photo

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by meath man, Mar 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    hi,i am considering buyting the new 30gb version on the apple website for 330 euro with free engraging on the student discount page.
    Does anybody have any opinions on this player? has it got any serious competition with a colour screen either currently released or soon to be released?
    I am drawn to this player because ive never owned an ipod and the majority of people i know only recognise the ipod as a decent mp3 player, also i love the click wheel on the ipod.
    I am a pc user. I probobly wont be loading many pictures onto it, so its nearly solely for my music collection

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I'll be first in here. To my knowledge there is nothing either currently available, or likely to happen this side of the christmas sales period that comes anywhere close to the size or quality of the iPod photo's colour screen. (Let the flames commence...)

Don't rule out putting photos on it though. From what I've heard from people who've got an iPod photo, they use the photo feature more than they thought they would. Also, you don't even need to involve your computer - if you have a digital camera, you can connect it to the iPod photo with a camera adaptor. Album art can be displayed along with music too which is a nice feature.

3. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I've just taken my 40gb Ipod back to the shop for a refund and ordered a 60gb Ipod photo for a little less than I paid for the 40gb one 15 days ago :D

I've spent about 4 hours downloading all the album art for the 200+albums and assigning them in itunes...Hopefully it'll arrive in the next day or so :)

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Does that mean you've lost out on the dock, carry case, firewire etc.?

5. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    To be honest I'm not sure. But considering I now have 20gb extra, a colour screen that can display photos and album art + an extra £22 in my pocket I don't care.

Carry case = didn't get one with the 40gb. I have just separately bought an iskin Ghost though ;)

dock = I expected to get one with the photo. I did buy a separate dock for my ipod mini but they are a bit of a pain when you have an iskin. ipod photo will be used with a Tivoli ipal which comes with a headphone feed so no real need to use the dock.

firewire = I thought that was in the basic pack. I got one of those with my ipod mini. If not I have one I can use :)

I didn't get anything more with the 40gb, except a box and instructions which I'm also expecting to get with the ipod photo.

6. solo_1138

solo_1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought the ipod 30gb photo at lunchtime from Dixons - £249.00 Haven't opened it yet but looking forward to getting some tracks on it tonight.

I chose it in the end, not for photos but for the increased hard drive and the longer battery life - colour screens quite nice as well.

Will let you know how i get on.

7. paulrwebster

paulrwebster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Where do you download the album art from?

8. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Another question i have about the ipod photo regards transfer of protected files. My brother got an ipod mini recently and i loaded the itunes program for him. however when trying to transfer my music form the windows media player a lot of the songs never made it to itunes- the message said-some of the wma files you tried to transfer are protected. is there a way to get these files over to the itunes program or another way to get this protected music onto an ipod?

9. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    www.allofmp3.com

Can't help with the copy protect. Try downloading the tracks from www.allofmp3.com instead :)

10. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i dont have a problem with the music i download from the internet. its with some albums i have on the windows media player- e.g u2s greatest hits albums. is there any way at all to get this music on the ipod?

11. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just locate the album on Tesco, WH Smith, AllMusic etc websites. Copy the artwork you want, then paste into iTunes' Get Info window for the tracks or complete albums you want.

12. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's full Windows Media DRM then you don't stand much chance except to burn them to cd, then re-import them into iTunes. This is nothing to do with any iTunes weakness, it's just DRM biting home.

Engagdet covered how to burn cds from DRM-encoded Napster tracks, which use Windows Media's DRM system:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000910031543/

13. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    What I was meaning was that it would probably be less hassle (very cheap) to download everything from allofmp3. You can choose the format, compression etc etc.

Make sure you download the explorer. Really is a neat tool

14. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Cheers for the head up. However is the site legal, albums seem to be too cheap!!

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    It's sort of legal ! There's a story on BBC here about it.

16. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I see, so it is illegal but because they are based in Russia no one can do anything about it!

18. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Not quite - it is legal as it's in Russia and complies with Russian law - the point is that it would be breaking the law if it was in the UK or the US etc etc.

So it's legal, just the fact that Russian law is a bit behind backward...

19. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "the point is that it would be breaking the law if it was in the UK or the US etc etc."

A business in Russia has to comply with the Russian law and equally, a business in UK or US that complies with the US or UK law would be equally legal in US/UK.

However, the same business model and rationale is unlikely to obtain the license in either UK or US.

Some businesses that a legal in the UK are illegal elsewhere. We do not refer to them as sort of legal!

20. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    So to summerise. Download my friend it's legal :)

21. Family Room

Family Room
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you are a Mac user look out the application Clutter, it hunts out cover art and then puts it on the tracks for you.