1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IPod Photo

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by gwc, Dec 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

I have just received an IPod photo for Christmas. Does anyone know if you can import album covers (photos) from your own CDs, to display while the album is playing. I know can get the art work if you buy the tunes on line from iTunes.

Cheers

gwc

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two ways to do it.

One - you can locate the artwork manually (on say Tesco or Woolworths websites, or allmusic.com) or scan it in from your cd collection, save the artwork to your hard drive, then import the artwork into iTunes (click on the track in iTunes and Get Info from the File menu, then drag the artwork into the artwork tab of the Get Info dialog box). This is all pretty long-winded though if you have a large database of music.

Two - you can find a third-party utility to import the artwork automatically for you. On a Mac you could use something like MPFreaker for this. I presume similar apps are available for Windows (after all, there's supposed to be more software available for Windows than Mac... :laugh: ). This is the best option as it's all done for you.

3. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you display the album covers, you'd end up with only a few minutes battery time for playing the tracks.

4. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I'd have thought it was the backlight that drains the battery, not a few colour pixels as opposed to a few white ones...

I've made no attempt to look for album covers, but on playing a few tracks such as "Fool On The Hill" from Magical Mystery Tour, and something by Black Box Recorder, I was surprised to see the album artwork appear - maybe Itunes has been doing something behind my back.

The photo feature to be honest is more a gimick than anything else, but the colour screen itself is absolutely gorgeous. And with 60gb, I've got my whole library on there plus 20gb spare for future usage.

5. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the artworks in iTunes it'll sync, it doesn't appear to affect the battery life either.

For a windows tool for getting art that isn't already in iTunes try iArt. It's not perfect, but does a reasonable job. Manually, select the album in iTunes (all tracks) then drag the artwork image (amazon's a good source) into the pane in the bottom left corner (under selected song). This will then update all the tracks, and your ipod when next synced.

As for the photo feature being a gimmick, I travel a lot, and carry all my family photo's on the pod and find I use the feature a surprising amount. (even been stopped twice at airport security to do a demo...)