iPod Photo- removing headphones

E

electron1954

Is this normal?

If I remove the phones from my iPod Photo, the playback usually stops/pauses a few seconds later.
This is problematic when moving with the iPod in your pocket in "hold" mode and the headphone socket spins in the socket and causes a momentary disconnect. This has happened a few times and means I have had to unset "hold", press play and reset "hold".

Is this a "feature" that can be unset in some menu - or is mine faulty?

It is a feature. The idea being that if you accidently unplug the headphones, your music automatically pauses so you can resume it from where you left off. I don't know if it can be turned off, sorry.

mcfarfs said:
It is a feature. The idea being that if you accidently unplug the headphones, your music automatically pauses so you can resume it from where you left off. I don't know if it can be turned off, sorry.

Thanks for the info.
Not a very well thought out feature then :-( - it needs a longer "disconnect time" so as to not be fooled by a momentary disconnect that occasionally occurs when the phone socket spins.

I have had this happen with two sets of phones, so it's not a faulty set.

We have an ipod photo and afaik it can't be turned off.

theres something wrong with your ipod as it should only pause when you disconnect not when u simply rotate the headphone jack to access the hold switch. You could buy the remote if you like, this way you can keep it permanently plugged in and youve got access to both hold buttons (on the pod and on the remote). And IMHO its the best looking remote i've seen.

drskhaled said:
theres something wrong with your ipod as it should only pause when you disconnect not when u simply rotate the headphone jack to access the hold switch. You could buy the remote if you like, this way you can keep it permanently plugged in and youve got access to both hold buttons (on the pod and on the remote). And IMHO its the best looking remote i've seen.

When the headphone jack moves by rotating, it is possible that the electrical connections will momentarily separate. This has happened a few times whilst I have been using the iPod on the move with it in my breast pocket. Cleaning the phone jack with solvent has helped.

I feel that this "feature" would have been better implemented with a delay of about a second.

I wasn't actually trying to operate the "hold" button at the time or do anything else to the iPod.

fair enough mate (didn't read your first post properly), but still the ipod shouldnt pause due to rotating the headphone jack (at least mine doesnt), and the remote will still solve your problem as it wont rotate.

If it's a problem you can't live with (it sounds like it's the socket rather than the earbud plug, as it's occurred with more than one set of earbuds, so personally *I'd* get it fixed) then go to Apple Support and fill out the iPod Service Request form:

http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/?country=uk&language=uk

Apple will pick it up and repair/replace at no cost under warranty, and it'll only be away a day or two. As a thought, you could even order a replacement set of earbuds first just to make sure (you'll get them by carrier next day delivery) using the form too, by saying it's an intermittent fault. That way, you can make sure it *definitely* isn't the earbuds, and have a spare pair in the process...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom