1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod or Minidisc

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by GJC, Sep 16, 2004.

Tags:
  1. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I am currently a minidisc owner and am contemplating getting a G4 Ipod.

My only concern is getting a good output from the mini jack to power my Shure E2c. I have read issues over vol. with the Ipod and there remotes look naff too, so I would have to constantly get the unit out. Im not that keen on the Iriver's either. I guess the pull of the ipod for me is the speed of transferring MP3 or WAV to the device and the fact that it can hold a lot of my songs.

I love my minidisc and would get another without hesitation if it didnt compress with Atrac all the time. I could record using the digital in but dont really want to do that with 100+ cd's.

Any opinions would be great - my budget is £200. Amazon have MZ-NH900 for £149.99 which seems a bargain!

GJC

2. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i went from MD to ipod, transferring songs took a lifetime, ditto for naming them.

wouldnt go back to MD now, no chance.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I personally went for the iRiver iHP-120 20Gb HDD player over the iPod because it was cheaper, better battery life (about 16 hours compared to iPods 8), better connectivity, better sound quality and no volume limiter.
    The iHP-140 40Gb version is now available from Richer Sounds for £275. Transfer of MP3 etc is via USB2.0 which is about the same speed as firewire on the iPod.

I ripped all my CD's to the PC with EAC and compressed them to MP3 with Lame. EAC also named all the CD's/Tracks by accessing FreeDb. Each CD took approx 10 minutes to rip and another 5 or so to finish compressing to MP3, less time if you turn off the error correction in EAC.

Mark.

4. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I popped to Tottenham Ct Rd yesterday, no-one would price match amazon for the minidisc. My current minisdisc mz-r909 probably has another year or so playback, the record function stopped working as it doesnt complete TOC, so says blank disc!

Anyway, after all the concerns with ipod and lack of decent remote I opted for the iRiver ihp-120 - £225 instead of another minidisc player. I still love my minisdisc though and may well get another one if I dont get on with the iriver.

5. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    My initial impressions of the iriver ihp-120.

Sound quality is amazing through my Shure E2C's, I encode my MP3's using Highest Quality VBR with Nero. The Bass is more apparant in every sense, the treble has a tad more sparkle than before. I believe the main cause of this difference is due to compression of ATRAC and MP3's. However, the Iriver definately outputs a higher level of sound compared to my Minisdisc (mz-r909).

Build Quality - excellent

I just need to sus out creating playlists to add to the Iriver then I will be happy.

6. Brookes2002

Brookes2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Can anyone please explain how the iRiver MP3 player connects to a an amp when playing MP3s? i currently have my computer linked to a Pioneer VSX-D2011 via USB in order to play MP3s, but am now thinking of buying an MP3 player. Only thing concerning me was the quality of sound output from them. I went to John Lewis and they explained the only output from most MP3 players was via the heaphone jack.

The iRiver H340 seems to have optical out so maybe i could do it that way? Are there any that output using USB?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dan.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I don't know about the full iRiver range, but the iHP-120 that I've got and the newer iHP-140 (same unit but 120 has a 20Gb HDD and the 140 has a 40Gb HDD) have the following conections:
    USB2.0 (works with 1.1 as well)
    Optical
    Line level

the above are all inputs and outputs and of course they also have the headphones output.
    I don't think you could use the USB port for playback through an amp as this only work as a HDD and the player is controlled by the PC when connected by USB - but I don't have an amp with USB so have never tried.

Mark.

8. VMAX

VMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  9. ratso-rizzo

ratso-rizzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Brookes2002

Brookes2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Mark,

Thanks for the info. I bought the I-River 140 today and am very pleased so far. I have a little problem in that it won't recognise some WMA files I have uploaded onto it; don't know why at the moment. You don't need to convert WMA into MP3 do you? it should recognise WMA outright shouldn't it?

Dan.

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I've never used WMA on my iRiver, but yes it should work with these.
    I do know that an old version of the software had problems with Ogg files with a high bit rate that an update solved. I would suggest checking out the iRiver web site for any new updates to the software and perhaps reporting the problem (if not already posted by others) on their forum.

Mark.

12. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I love the notion of the ipod and iriver products but I think that £200+ on any walkman is a mistake as they simply don't last. I'm just hoping that these products come down to around £100 pretty soon. I noticed Dixons had a 256mb iriver with built in radio for £60 last week so it shouldn't be tto long before someone does one with 1-2gb for the same money.

13. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I got a Rio Riot from Dabs last xmas £99 for a 20gig brick
    that plays MP3 and WMA files, Only USB1.1 but well worth it.
    All my music now lives on it.