iPod or iRiver?

Had my iRiver iHP-140 for a day now and think it's great. The main reasons for not getting the iPod were WMA support, better battery and most importantly optical output. One slight problem though. What sort of optical lead do you need to hook it upto my (or any) amp? I tried a standard dvd optical lead and it don't fit, I've been told a "CD type" optical is what I need but will this plug into my av amp without problem.

One excellent :censored: MP3 player, go get one!

BTW, got it from mp3players.co.uk for £275 inc. next day delivery :thumbsup:

Hey, I have been trying to decide between an iPod and the creative zen extra (or whatever it is called) - and thought I would check here to see what the general opinion was. However, it seems now that it would be worth also considering the iHP-140...

The important features to me are:
- sound quality
- ease of use
- size
- durability

As far as I was aware, the iPod and creative both produce a high quality sound - as does the iHP-140. I was aware that there could be a problem with the volume on the iPod, but it seems that this can be fixed with a d/l...

Aparently - the iPod has an intuitive interface... and the creative is easy to use. Has anyone used the disc/circle thing on the iPod, does it help? What is the iHP-140 like to use? Menu structure etc?

I understand that the iPod is quite a bit smaller than the creative - how does the iHP-140 compare?

I have heard that the creative feels "cheap", and one review suggested its no good for running with. There is a good chance that i will use my mp3 player when snowbaording, so this one is kinda important.

Thanks for any help, Gav

Originally posted by airdrawn
has anyone purchased an ipod from the us? if so how much, where from and did you get stung for import tax?

thanks v much

$250 off ebay US and no. Ebay sellers are hiking the prices by 30-40% now, though:(

Originally posted by GavinH
Aparently - the iPod has an intuitive interface... and the creative is easy to use. Has anyone used the disc/circle thing on the iPod, does it help? What is the iHP-140 like to use? Menu structure etc?

I understand that the iPod is quite a bit smaller than the creative - how does the iHP-140 compare?

I have heard that the creative feels "cheap", and one review suggested its no good for running with. There is a good chance that i will use my mp3 player when snowbaording, so this one is kinda important.

Thanks for any help, Gav
I've not used any other MP3 player, but find the iRivcer easy enough to use. Most of the main controls are easily useable with plenty of hard buttons and 4 way cursor. All my music was ripped on a PC so is listed with artist, album and song titles. Just highlight what you want to play and press the play button. Seems simple enough to me!
I've got the iHP-120, but assume it is the same size as the 140. It it 5cm w X 10cm h X 2.5cm d
I use the iRiver on a running machine in the gym with no problems. As long as you can stay on your feet enough to not squash it the iRiver should be fine for snowboarding IMO.

HTH,
Mark.

Can someone explain the relevant differences between solid state storage and hard disk drive storage?

Of the iPod, the iRiver and the Creative Zen - which are solid state and which are HDD?

Ta

Also, I went into a shop today to get a feel for the iPod and Creative (they didn't have the iRiver) and it seemed that the only way to connect the iPod to your pc is via the dock... is this true? If you get the 15GB model you don't get the dock, so do you get a lead that plugs into the bottom of the iPod? If so, do you get this when you get the 20/40GB models?

Ta

AFAIK the difference between solid state and HDD is that on solid state there are no moving parts, like a memory card in a digital camera etc. In theory this is meant to be more robust when the player uis being bounced around. AS I have said though I have never had problems with my iRiver which is HDD.

I think that all the MP3 players you listed have a HDD.

From what I have read (never owned an iPod) the iPod can connect directly to a PC without the docking station via firewire. With the docking station you get USB & analogue audio connections.

Mark.

Does the iHP-120 come with everything the 140 does (except for the storage capacity :)? Are their specs the same? Looking on amazon... they appear to be the same (except for a different colour...).

Ta, Gav

AFAIK the only difference between the iHP-120 & iHP-140 is as you say the capacity of the HDD.

from www.iriver.com web site:
It's time for another HDDMP3player from iRiver. Following the same path as its precursor H110 (iHP-100) and H120 (iHP-120). This time the machine goes by the name H140 (iHP-140) and has a 40GB HDD and includes all of H120 (iHP-120)'s features and functions.

Mark.

Can some kind iRiver owner answer me a couple of questions:

1 Does the iRiver have some form of resume facility ie when i turn it off then on i can continue from the same track i was on when it was turned off?

2 What is the size of the inline remote?

Oh and can any iPod owner give me good reason to buy an iPod instead?

Thanks
Paul

1. Yes. I think you can set this option on or off as required, but its always been on on my iRiver.

2. about 5cm x 2 cm approx as I don't have the remote with me, but it wont be far off this.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom