1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPOD or iRiver newbie requires advice

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kevH, Jan 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Looking at the possibility of using either the ipod 40gb or iriver h340 as my first mp3 player purchase. Primary uses for the two would be as storage for my cd collection and to be able to both play through my hi fi system and play whilst on holiday.
    Any constructive advice on quailty, ease of use etc etc would be good

Cheers
    kevin

2. No-One

No-One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Depends on your requirements really. My mate swears by his ipod but after owning one for 2 days I returned mine in favour of my old minidisc player. What kind of music do you listen to? A lot of people (myself included) have found that the ipods audio seems to attenuate frequencies in the region of 150hz and below. Basically it means that it can sound very flat and bassless. For some people this isn't an issue. The ipod also can't play mix cds without introducing a gap between tracks. I'm told that the iriver can with the latest fireware.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Does anyone know whether a new iriver model will be released to replace the h140?

4. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    tejstar
    i maybe wrong here but from what i can gather the h300 series h320 h340 is the newer version of the h140 or so im being told with new software/firmware to iron out a few glitches the h140 had.
    im also being told that although the ipod is excellent for user friendliness the iriver is far better in the sound quality dept.
    just looking for comments from owners so i can make an imformed choice of purchase.
    cheers
    kevin

5. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sound quality of the iRiver H320 (20GB version of H340) is outstanding. I have ripped my cd collection to OGG format at 500kbps and also mp3 at 320kbps and connected it to my yamaha AMP through the line out. The sound quality through my big floor standing speakers is truly awesome. The bass is powerful and tight but never over powering, the vocals are clear and the overall sound is free of hiss and distortion.

The menu system is a breeze to use. As long as you have you music organised in folders by artist, album etc and have no more than about 20-30 songs per folder you can easily find any song in seconds. You can also shuffe/repeat all your tracks, or tracks within a certain folder. Transfering files couldn't be easier as it is recognised as a drive. I drag-and-dropped 500mb in about 15 seconds.

The best thing is th 2 inch colour screen. you wont beleive how crisp and clear the screen is until you see it. It easily displays photos at high quality.

I recommend downloading the lastest (easy to install) firmware upgrade which allows you to play XVid videos. The quality of the videos really is amazing, much better than I expected. I can now watch episodes of Simpsons, Futurams & Seinfeld on the bus :D . I use a program called PocketDivXEncoder 0.3.51 to convert mpeg's and avi's to play on my iRiver but there are other (not so easy to use) programs which may give slightly better results.

As far as I'm concerned it's well worth the £220 I paid for the H320 from amazon. The same price as 20GB iPod and much better in my opinion.

Hope this helps