1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod or iRiver.. (again..)

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by redlester, Oct 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose this has been debated to death, but I'll ask anyway. I'm after an mp3 player for the car as I've grown tired of messing about with CD's. It will be exclusively for the car - I never listen to music when I'm walking anywhere etc. (besides - the little earphones always fall out of my ears!)

I don't use ITunes software on my PC or anything like that - I just have all my mp3's in folders on a dedicated hard drive. So it would be nice to just be able to drag & drop them via firewire into the mp3 player, which if I understand right the iRivers can do, but the iPods can't? How fiddly is the iPod software in that respect?

Regarding playlists - can I just dump my mp3's into the player and then create playlists (presumably the folder structure I have on my PC, i.e. Artist>Album>Tracks will be preserved when I copy over?) or do I have to make playlist on the PC then copy it over to the mp3 player? I'd rather not have to do the latter. Do I need to have all the ID3 tags filled in for a playlist to be possible, or can it be done simply from filenames?

As regards battery life I'm not too concerned as I will probably plug it into the cigarette lighter when in use, but ability to upgrade the hard disc capacity would be nice as I have over 100GB of mp3's on my PC...

iPod is more tempting as it's clearly the accepted "standard" and you can buy nice docking stations for the car etc. But would those of you with experience of these things be likely to say that an iRiver would suit me better?

2. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi
    Id say Iriver
    But, you say exclusively for the car
    How are you going to connect it to your car? Tape adaptor/ FM(poor sound) or are you lucky enough to have a Line in? Is your Car Radio any good??

You might be better off with a £2-300 MP3/CD playing car radio or a DMP3 Hd based system with a bigger HD fitted (120GB ish)

3. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using my portable CD player via a cassette adaptor till now, but am about to change cars to one with a radio/CD player - so would have to go with the FM option. Is the sound quality really that poor, or is it just poor by HiFi standards? I'm not after anything exceptional, its more to do with the convenience of not having to carry CD's around in the car and have to keep changing them etc.

I do like the look of the DMP, but as its a company car I can't really start dismantling bits of it - i just want something I can use without modifying whats already in the car.

4. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Cassette option is bad, to my ears anyway, very tiring & Shrill
    FM is better as Quality as radio, so probably ok with std radio/spk
    CD/line in is better

DMP3 has a FM too

as its a company car, think id lean towards the Iriver/FM
    Id watch out for car charging any battery, Moble phone batterys dont last if you use car chargers/ and you needed to disconnect before starting the car.