1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod or HD3...Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by bushhpd, Mar 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. bushhpd

bushhpd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,
    I am looking into buying my first MP3 player, and would really appreciate a few pointers from some experts! To keep things simple I am choosing between the 20gb iPod and the Sony HD3. I can see the difference in size, looks, battery life etc. but would appreciate a few pointers in some less obvious areas:

1) Ease of Music Transfer: I have never used MP3 before, and have all my collection on CD / Minidisc, so getting the music onto the MP3 player as easily as possible is important, (it sounds like SonicStage is a nightmare?)

2) Sound Quality: How big is the difference between Atrac and MP3? Also how do they both compare to LP2 recordings on Minidisc, which is what I currently use?

3) Playlist Flexibility: A big attraction of an MP3 player for me is the ability to create custom playlists using various tracks from various albums, and then being able to play tracks randomly from within that playlist. My impression is that the iPod is better than the HD3 in this regard, is this correct?

I know the iPod Vs. HD3 has been covered extensively on this forum already, but any pointers would be much appreciated!

Cheers
    Hugo

2. 'dozer

'dozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am facing the same problem. My thoughts are:

It sounds like SonicStage will be quite painful to use the first time when loading up all existing CDs. After that loading the occasional CD should be bearable. I am willing to live with this because of the longer battery life of the HD3 and what appears to be better sound quality.

My main dilemma is with the user interface of the HD3. Is it possible to, for example, to classify CDs by genre (as well as artist, album etc) and then play songs from a genre at random?

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Sonic stage is quite simplistic software and quite easy to use. It will (eventually) do what you need it to in it's basic fashion.

If you are ripping your CD to a format for the 1st time then you are in quite an open position. As it should not make that much of an issue to you either way.

For lots of people MP3 has become the generally accepted standard and they tend to have all their collections in this format anyway. For those that need to convert MP3 to Atrac they have to use SS and it's then when it can become a bit messy and slow.

Itunes is a very good piece of software and works well with MP3's.

4. caz1979

caz1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be totally honest I've never had any problems with the SonicStage software although I've only had the HD3 a few days. You can play your music by Artist, Album, Genre or Group (your own folder names). You can also bookmark tracks as you go to create a playlist although I haven't tried this.

5. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but you can´t create a playlist with bookmark without playing the chosen tracks

6. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I must admit I have not used sonic stage or played with the HD3 but I'll give a vote for Ipod and a massive :smashin: for Itunes.

Very intuative software. I have 2500 odd songs and searching, ripping and playing is a breeze. I'm am not a natural computer buff but if ease is what you seek I'd recommend Itunes.

I can even network my chipped xbox downstairs via xbox media centre which 'talks' to itunes so I can directly listen to all my tracks stored with out using the ipod!

7. mattrixdesign

mattrixdesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO Sonic Stage is horrid and crashes all the time when used with my NetMD - I used to use it on Win98 and my old PC, now I am using it on Win XP on my new PC and it has crashed every time I have used it. Not sure what the problem is but it seems very reluctant to multi-task with other programs. I can not comment on the IPOD. However I would consider a player that can play normal MP3 without conversion!

8. lockers

lockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There goes my theory then...I was about to post to say that I found SonicStage to pretty reliable now that I'm on a newer machine running XP. So I'm sorry to hear your not having much luck.

I have used sonic stage for a while, as I had an earlier Memory stick device when I had Win98, and sonic stage tended to be a little unstable. So I know how infuriating it can be!

9. combustion

combustion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

10. combustion

combustion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can create playlists in sonicstage which are called "groups" and you can name them in sonicstage to whatever you want.

11. jonh doe

jonh doe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See my post entitled

Do Not buy a HD3 if you want to swap files between 2 computers

12. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok combustion, you seem to know what you´re talkink about. can you explain me, please, how to create a playlist with songs yet transfered to the player wihout expending additional hard disc space? Is that posible with groups? when I change the mode to group i only see the titles of my albums... no more... those group I presume that will be done by sonicstage... how? please explain it to me carefully, because i´m not only newbie with hd3 but also spanish and it´s hard to me writting and understanding...

one more thing: is it possible to make a playlist on the fly? I mean, you are listening to yellow submarine (for example...) and you want to enqeue my sharona.. when you listen to my sharona you may like to listen to another brick in the wall or maybe... the song remains the same... but you don´t know and you want to do it... on the fly,.. is it possible... don´t tell me by bookmarking cause it´s not the same, you have to change song after song and the bookmarking , and when you finish listening, quit bookmarking....

thank you very much, I´m looking forward this answers since i bought the player ( two weeks ago )

13. dakeane

dakeane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HD3 arrived yesterday. I charged it up and ripped about 25 CDs onto my PC using SonicStage. I had zero problems. I then put the newly created library onto the HD3. Again zero problems. I found, and still find SonicStage somewhat clunky to use and not the best designed software I've ever seen, but that's not to say that it's bad. Based on my limited knowledge of SonicStage I'd say it's ok. It does the job. If I can find my way around it and how to use it in one sitting then I'm sure most others can too. I'm only giving my iinitial impressions of it. It may well start crashing on me from here on in, but so far so good. It was a concern before going for the HD3. My flatmate has iPod/iTunes - iTunes is great.

As for the player itself, I loved it the first moment I saw it online when it was released. Now that I have it in my hands I love it even more. It's gorgeous, the sound quality is superb (better than my flatmate's iPod imo - but I'm no hi-fi junkie with over-sensitive ears!!!), the GUI could be better but again after using it yesterday I'm whizzing about it. What else? Well, I didn't even consider the iPod 'cos I don't like it [ducks for cover]. I think it looks bland and boring, and now that everyone under the sun seems to have one I find it even more so. But that's not to say that the next person will share that opinion. Many won't - some will. One distinct advantage that iPod owners have over the rest of us is the amount and range of accesories.

So there we go. My opinions only. Buy a HD3. No, I take that back - buy whatever YOU want to.

14. pharris007

pharris007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi

So which did you go for? i'm in the same decision and can't decide. I have sony's old Open MG Juckbox that came with a mini disc player, i don't have too many CD burned on it but i have had no problems. What do you think? have you listened to any?

cheers

15. 00161wj

00161wj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget Ipod's Their Rubbish (trust Me I've Had One) Compared To The Killing Machine Nw-hd3 (trust Me I've Got One), Which Is An Absoulutely Fantasic Piece Of Technology. I Just Keep Wondering How These Genius's At Sony Do It.

16. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Sonicstage is far from a nightmare when used simply to rip and transfer in one go. In fact, it's very simple. The problems are in little bits, which all add up to a somewhat cumbersome experience. It's down to things like speed of operation, the way it displays music on the player, lack of drag & drop (which is delegated to a separate app), etc. Sonicstage is also missing a lot of the nice to have features of iTunes: Inbuilt multi-codec ripping, versatile playlisting, etc.

Both compare fine to LP2. The iPod is a more accurate sound, whereas the ATRAC-side of the HD3 is more adjustable. Even in the MP3 side of the HD3 (since a full EQ is disabled when using MP3) you can tweak the treble and bass settings for added kick. The 3G iPod did famously badly in the 'extra kick' area, and that's the only iPod I've used for any length of time for but the 4G is supposed to be a little better. In terms of what you can do to the sound, using the ATRAC mode of the HD3 would be more familiar to you.

iPod absolutely destroys the HD3 in this respect. There's a not oft-discussed thing that iPod does, which is two-way syncing of what you played, when. This, combined with the smartlist feature allows you to create lists like "make me a playlist of all electronica which I haven't heard in the last 6 months"... and that's just scratching the surface. I don't know how likely it is for you to crack 20Gb on your library. But I can tell you that when your library starts to exceed the capacity of your player, the smartlists become a godsend and Sonicstage-like apps become more trouble than they're worth.

I've previously owned the NW-HD1, iPod and Mini. I have the NW-HD3 and the MZ-NH1/N10 MD's among other players and am planning to order one of the iPod Photos.

17. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion the iRivers are better than either the Ipod or the Sony. Look at the iRiver H340 for example.

18. lammy

lammy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i jus recently brought the hd3 i think its a great little device. the software wasn't tht bad at all, as sum say its crap but i havent used it on my own comp yet but hopefully it will have no probs. the thing i like about the ipod is the flywheel which i think is its best feature!! i say go wit the sony hd3 but its ur choice!!