1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod nano VS ipod mini 6 GB

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by davorin, Sep 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. davorin

davorin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello!

as the subject says, i already decided to buy a ipod mini 6 GB and i'm just waiting to come up with enough money, but then ipod nano got out. can someone give some pointers about ipod nano ... any pro & cons for both players ... i sense they're the same price, and yes, nano is "only" 4GB, but i think that's not really a problem for me, cause i'm looking something in the range of 4 - 6 GBs ...

thanks to all !!!

2. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    nano pros:-
    + Size
    + Color Screen
    + Albumn art
    + Sony Lyrics
    + Extra line of text in display - means it will display song title, artist then album name unlike the mini
    + No moving parts as it's flash memory - irrevelant for me but may be important if you are gonna be using it while jogging etc
    + Stuff like screen lock, world clock, stopwatch
    + Photo viewing

- Earphone slot in annoying place
    - Scratches easily

mini pro's
    + battery life- Extra 4 hours
    + capacity (although you said 4GB should be enough, plus there are smart playlists)
    + virtually scratch proof
    + bigger screen

I chose the nano myself, just couldn't resist the form factor and screen. It's actually the first color screen i've actually been able to see outside, all my mobiles have had to be angled all over before you can see whats going on, even my K750i isn't great :(. Worse one I ever came across was my T610 the screen was just invisible outside, never try viewing an STN screen outside it just doesn't work!.

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    And no doubt, as the Nano will replace the Mini, the price for the Mini will drop severely. Soon, the only place will be ebay if you wanna get one

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cloysterpeteuk, how's your new Nano shaping up?

5. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    It's doing good, all my album art and song lyrics transfered over a-ok. Only problem is the earphones they came with are kojacked :(. The right sound channel is almost double the volume of the left one which is a complete pain in the arse, so at the moment i'm using my old earphones from the 20GB 4G model, only annoyance with them is the bit you plug into the player is bigger than on the nano's earphones so it looks a bit daft like that - plus there all grubby and the SQ for my audiobooks is crap compared to the nano earphones. Going back to the knackered nano phones you can actually balance the sound out a bit if you twist them around, yeah twisting the plug part of these wacky earphones actually changes the volume and balance of the sound given from each earphone.

I've emailed Apple so i'm hoping they will just send me some new earphones, because noway am I sending my nano back as you have to pay a handling charge of £20 which you probably wouldn't get back for weeks and weeks. Annoyingly they don't sell these earphones anywhere, I can get non brand one's that have the new small plug end from ebay for a few quid but I doubt they would be much cop, I also thought about the Apple inner ear one's but they apparently fall out too easy. I've also tried two Sony earphones, one cheap, the other £30 one's specially imported but both of them had annoyances that I couldn't put up with.

http://img383.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc006557vp.jpg

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it's fair to say, then, that the Nano doesn't quite live up to your expectations as yet?

7. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    No the nano itself is perfect, loving it.

As for the earphones them little bastards can go right in the bin, what a load of crock they are!. At the moment i'm back to using those £30 Sony's, with my 20GB 4G ipod I didn't use them because they tended to distort the high volume noises on rock songs especially, like the big bassy stuff, druff rolls etc all sounded mushed together and messy. I'm no good at describing sound reproduction but needless to say it didn't sound clever trevor!. Anyway it was a real shame because they handled the lows sooo sweetly compared to the ibuds, especiallu lyrical sections with no tub thumping sounds in the background. Anyway, I thought these phones had disappeared but I found them in the cable graveyard underneath my PC desk, tried the on the nano and WALA!, they sound heaps better than they did on my old pod!!!!, Ok so that's a lie but they don't seem to be trouble by those noisy noisy sounds like they did before :). Why that is I don't know?. These still annoy me though as they are of those stupid design where you have to wrap one cord round your ear, god damn crappy pointless annoying idea that is, plus it makes it awkward to wrap them round the nano, as one cord is longer it ends up resting on the other side of the pod to the other one. Oh, and the plug into player part is of the standard design, in that it's not straight as in ipod buds if you understand me.

Well when all is said and done i'm happier with these than I was before, and at least now i'm an anonymous part of the ipod mafia, Apple can still replace but knackered one's though.

8. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I discovered on Friday that my Nano was stuck at the sorting depot pending payment of customs charges. Bo****ks. It's probably going to end up costing me more than the UK version... however, if there is a volume cap on the EU versions, it's worth it. If there isn't I'll just kick myself in the ass.

One positive thing I can say about the iPod Mini is that it's fairly bulletproof for a hard-disk based player, both in terms of it's finish and also in its durability. The nano doesn't take a remote, but I imagine that due to it's size you won't need one.

9. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    There is no definitive answer as to whether the EU one is volume capped, personally speaking it sounds just as loud as my uncapped 4thG. That's not just from my ears bu from my mate who used my old one more than I did. Plus anyone with any sense wouldn't be using better earphones (than the stock one's) and they would ramp the sound up further.

See http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?threadid=116551&perpage=15&pagenumber=1 for more info.