1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPOD Nano vs Gigabeat

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by SuperSaiyan4, Oct 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi guys I have had a few MP3 players from iRiver H10, Sony HD1, Samsung 5gb player with colour screen, NW-E407 Sony player and now the iPOD Nano 4gb.

Overall imo the iRiver has had the best sound, quality overall with its only let down being the software.

The Nano has amazing size, good audio and bass along with iTunes which imo has to be the best so far in transferring audio.

Now the only thing is the Nano has appalling battery life - says 14hrs but my battery is like draining after just 2hrs of use goes down to red!

So am looking at this Hitachi Gigabeat 20gb I hear its a great player and has a lot of functions only thing lacking I think is radio and mpeg4? But I go to the gym and jog so is this a good purchase to make? However I want the best in audio as well with great features.

Am I best sticking with the Nano or going with the Hitachi player? bearing in mind i need to use it at the gym and go jogging.

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    Call Apple. Obviously something wrong

Its still under warranty, so repairs will be free. Can't believe you won't try this option first, rather than immediately look for a replacement

3. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    to be honest i have never liked iPODS hated them just have but this nano is pretty funky lol however as i have a 3yr warranty which covers damages of any kind i might keep it and wait for something else to come out.

4. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Do you mean Toshiba Gigabeat?

5. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Sorry me bad Toshiba...I keep thinking its Hitachi for some reason lol.

Emm I like the Toshiba but want the size of the Nano lol oh well will keep the Nano for now and see what else comes out later on.

6. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I thought the iRiver had a choice of software. Can't you use WMP 10 with it? And doesn't it also support direct drag and drop?

7. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my last player was the H10 5gb and I thought it was pretty crap, slow slow slow slow slow hard drive access when changing tracks and a sluggish interface (in terms of speed). Nicest player I've seen though and very easy to use. I now use a HD5 which I consider better in every department bar looks. Just my 2p though.

I used Winamp 10 with the H10 cause iRiver plus was very bad. It didn't support drag and drop when I had it.

8. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The iRiver H10 was pretty slow yes I agree, however it does support drag and drop however you then cannot just press play instead you need to access an 'outside' folder in the player to play the music.

Gonna give the gigabeat a miss its too big, the Nano is perfect apart from the really poor battery life.

If Toshiba bring out a mini Gigabeat and there is no reason why they cant then I will use my 3yr cover plan to get that instead.

9. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
    Well the nano will last three hours longer than the Gigabeat!, so if you consider the nano's battery life to be really poor how come you don't mention the Gigabeats paltry playback time?.

10. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I dont own a gigabeat hence why I was asking on if I should get that instead...

The Nano states 14hrs but soon after its fully charged I see the batter go down as quick as a 4litre Jag's petrol meter! lol!

I think I get about 4-5hrs out of mine.

11. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
    Have you actually calibrated the thing in order to get the battery metre accurate?, mine stays on red for hours. Do the ipod battery test as stated on Apple.com then tell us what figure you get, if you still get 4 - 5 hours then sendn the unit back. I was all set for sending mine back until I did the above and got 13.07 playback and that was with minor fiddling and volume playback higher than recommended for the battery test.

12. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    a test?? emm you got a link please?

13. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
  14. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you are doing that test, do you put the headphones in? and what volume do you set it to?
    So you have to be there when the battery depletes, that would be annoying as you cant leave it over night unless it lasts full length. And you need a stopwatch. It should have a timer of how many hours of playing you have done (like talk time records on mobiles).

15. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
    You can connect it to itunes and find out the total time it was played for. Although personally I had the pod near me at full blast so I could hear when the music stopped, Apple says to play the music at 50% so i'm sure if I had had the volume level that low (and not had to fiddle with it once) then I would have hit 14. I only got 9 1/4 the first time. I started it at 12 and it stopped at 13.07 so didn't need a stopwatch to work out it had been going for 13hr.

16. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Gigabeats battery life is quoted as 16 hours so that's more than a Nano. I don't quite get that in reality but then I encode at 192KBps and use it a noisy gym so have to turn the volume up. It's still lasts a good while though.

17. rockhard

rockhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would use my NANO 4GB black model for gym workout no more than 2 hours otherwise it will be used mainly as in car audio accessory with built in MONSTER iCAR FM transmitter/recharger...

Therefore battery life is not as important as 4BG storage space and lossless recording encoder for sound quality playback..

18. rockhard

rockhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The iPOD NANO and all apple products are not compatible with WMA lossless this is a dunb move on there part and will open the door to someone like Samsung to offer similar flash player with WMA lossless support .

When someone offers this watch the stampede begin ...

Apple will the have no choice but to accept this and offer WMA lossless compatibilty...

19. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    AAC lossless or whatever its called?!

20. rockhard

rockhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It pales in comparison to WMA lossless and using converters like DB amp causes ripped CD's in WMA lossless to be downconverted to WMA and then cross converted to AAC can you say lossy quality :)