• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iPod Nano owners: would you buy again?

LDJ

Established Member
Having been through five players from various unknown Korean manufacturers (who try to cram 1,000,001 features in to the smallest possible box, yet cannot product a stable and reliable player), I’m sick of players failing after 2-3 months use.
Hence, I'm now considering compromising on certain things such as physical size (nano = quite large) and features (no WMA support :( ) in order to get a stable and realible player. It will be used mainly on my daily commute to/from work, in the gym and out when im running etc.

I'm therefore wondering if existing iPod nano owners would recommend their player and if they were in the market to buy another mp3 player whether they would make the same choice? Are there any reliability issues with them?

Ultima

Distinguished Member
I have a nano, use it at the gym mainly. I would highly recommend it and would definately buy it again.

Regards
Martin

extremelydodgy

Established Member
I bought a US-spec Nano when they first came out, and picked up another one recently for use with Rockbox. The original has been dropped quite often and kicked a couple of times by accident. Apart from scuffs on the front (it always seemed to land face down...) which don't actually interefere with the operation at all, it's been fine. As you say, I don't need 1001 features in a flash player. I would rather have ease of loading and ease of use. The one thing they didn't correct with the Nano compared to older iPods is the bass-distortion-prone equaliser, which was fixed on the full size iPod. Apart from that, zero complaints. As a product, it's considerably better thought out than any other flash / mini-hard-disk player on the market.

shoehorn

Established Member
I bought one for the Mrs for Christmas and was so impressed I bought the company!
(well actually, another one for myself...)
Highly recomended. :thumbsup:

kevH

Established Member
Ditto to what extremelydodgy says ours has been thro the wars somewhat and still works a dream. Ease of use superb and to be honest whats with all the bells and whistles its a music player !!:smashin:

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
shoehorn said:
I bought one for the Mrs for Christmas and was so impressed I bought the company!
(well actually, another one for myself...)
Highly recomended. :thumbsup:
That's my story too. Except hers was a Birthday gift. Yes, I'd buy another. Nothing else comes close IMO.

pixelated

Established Member
I *love* the iPod nano. I've never come across such a good sounding player! Just bought my girlfriend one for Valentine's Day as well.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
I bought my Partner a 2Gig Nano for Xmas, it brokedown, only just got a replacement back yesterday - I complained about the slow and poor customer service so much they sent me a free (4Gig upgrade).

I must admit I like the look and navigation of the Nano - but it aint the "only" mp3 player of choice - I am sure there are plently of other good brands out there and not just cheapo brands (Sony, Creative?)

I am not trying to put you off, the iTunes software is the best by far, ipods are the most popular and look ace. But shop around first.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
LDJ said:
Having been through five players from various unknown Korean manufacturers (who try to cram 1,000,001 features in to the smallest possible box, yet cannot product a stable and reliable player), I’m sick of players failing after 2-3 months use.
Hence, I'm now considering compromising on certain things such as physical size (nano = quite large) and features (no WMA support :( ) in order to get a stable and realible player. It will be used mainly on my daily commute to/from work, in the gym and out when im running etc.

I'm therefore wondering if existing iPod nano owners would recommend their player and if they were in the market to buy another mp3 player whether they would make the same choice? Are there any reliability issues with them?

You think the nano is big?, it's tiny and light as a feather (well a few feathers) at 42g.

My nano has been broken for most of the past few months, I sent it to Apple twice and both times they sent it back with an email and letter stating it was in perfect working order so they didn't do anything to it. Problem was that intermittently the buttons just stopped responding, click wheel everything just stopped working, sometimes when you left it for a while you could get the thing to work for maybe a day but then it went back to being screwed. Apple were zero help, I mean I even sent a video clip with it to prove that it wasn't working, then the second time it came back with horrendous scratches over the right side of the screen so I just chucked the bugger in the drawer.

A couple of weeks ago I charged it up again and thought I would try it and it worked, so now it's been working normally for two weeks!. Apple must have installed some slow working nanites in the unit or something.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
hmmm it seems there are some problems with the Nano's then, thought it was just me.

One other point - I love iTunes, way better than MS and Sony's music players. HOWEVER, when it comes to linking iTunes with Nano then I experince problems, such as slow tranfer and iTunes sometimes crashing, it did this the other day and left the Nano full of tunes that would not play the just kept jumping on to the next track. Had to do a clean format of the Nano.

DrussTheLegend

Established Member
Bought one for the other half at Xmas...she likes it. I personally think its a hugely overated product. poor compatability...stupidly sensitive touch wheel (stolen from creative) and iTunes has to be THE most un-intuitive and and tempremental piece of pap ever to grace a PC.

but thats just my two cents worth. nice to look at, decent sound, reasonable screen.

Tman666

Established Member
Yep i would in a second i love my nano

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom