1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod nano anyone ???

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Garf, Sep 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Garf

Garf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
  2. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    looks like the ipod mini is dead then.
    azzo

3. Garf

Garf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
  4. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wasnt a new mini supposed to be announced with an 8 gig flash memory though?

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Wow, that's impressive engineering alright!
    Now how does it sound?

6. Rockin_Amigo14

Rockin_Amigo14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to quote men in black...

"i feel like i'm gonna break this damn thing"

7. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think its silly, they have replaced the mini with a smaller capacity version, we where expecting an 8gig version! now we cant even get 6. about the size, i would be scared about having something that small, i think i wud snap it all the time, and why is the headphone jack on the bottom, weird people. hope apple get their act together soon, then again, they can make a random new product and anyone will buy it, purly because they are apple

8. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the first thing i noted, took me a while but i like it. You put it in your pocket upside down put when you take it out and look at it its the right way up. Think it through. Jeans, pick it out with hand and look at it. COOL!!!

I love it, But my HD3 is better ;)

9. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    They will surely release a 6GB one later on, replacing the mini range
    Azzo

10. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Isn't the flash memory going to be slower than USB2/Firewire?

11. zubnut

zubnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    gapless playback? didn't think so :mad:

.. until you realise it's bent in half after you just sat down :rotfl:

small, sleek and desirable but oh so fragile

12. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all - hats off to Apple for keeping it quiet until now - this is the first I have heard of it!! Secondly - it is rather beautiful, especially the black version. However, until Apple sorts out their issues with gapless playback and built in batteries I am afraid they don't really stand a chance of converting me.

Fair enough, the player might score 10 out of 10 for looks with me, but let's not forget it is an MP3 player after all and that looks should be a secondary issue. Functionality to me is the top priority and until Apple's players start to play music as intended by the artist they will remain worthless to me.

I also know that it would be an even bigger challenge to create an iPod Nano with a removable battery, but let's face it - if Apple can create something as amazing as this player they can create a removable battery. Even watches have removable batteries for god's sake and they certainly don't make them any bulkier!!

13. Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Additionally, they also seem to be able to make a random new product and someone will criticise it, purely because it's apple.

Looks like a really good product, I'd like to see some more real-life photos of it to judge the size.

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    My perfect player :)

15. Dokken

Dokken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Still crap battery life only 14hrs!

16. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Shame about the earphones :suicide: ...

17. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just talking about it to my partner! Sony's PREVIOUS range of solid state technology players clocked 50 hours per charge - why only 15 on this iPod? Sure, it has a colour screen - but still it shouldn't last only 15 hours!?

EDIT: Or 14 even...

18. SCHWONG

SCHWONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bleh not my thing, hate it how Apple use the same old design over and over again, it was quite plain to begin with, however i guess it works well for them and the millions of customers they have.

19. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63

It's a pretty large colour screen as opposed to a 3-line OLED display which I can't even see in daylight.
    0.69cm thickness as opposed to the 1.4cm for the NW-E407.

20. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So dodgy, as loyal Apple customer - can you tell me why they are in no rush to address the gapless playback when Sony could do it on the Vaio within 3 months of releasing the player?

21. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    As I've said before, it doesn't bother me. I listen to a huge variety of music, not a limited range. The overwhelming majority of my music (even classical) has natural breaks inbetween tracks. Even if the album is continuous, the iPod's gaps are the same as the HD5's gaps in MP3 and on many occasions it's not too disrupting. Everyday usability and core sound quality (since I don't use EQ much even with players which have more EQ and FX than you can shake a stick at) are more important than something which bothers me a couple of times a week at the very most.

Also, battery life on the Sony's are overstated, in 'absolutely best case' mode. Check this out. The Sony will undoubtedly beat the iPod flash player in real-life use, but most probably by a far less convincing margin than that claimed.

22. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it doesn't bother you - but you visit these forums quite often, you also know by that that the lack of gapless playback does bother MANY other people.

It takes the 'many other people' to create Apple's market. So many people have moaned about it - why is it that they really don't care about it?

If the iPod could play gaplessly I would certainly think about getting a Nano.

23. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Every DAP has its strengths and weaknesses. You could say the same thing about the lack of on-the-go playlists on the HD5, the poor build quality, the numerous complaints about SonicStage, and so on.

I think the iPod nano looks absolutely incredible :)

Andrew

24. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you - it does look beautiful. The thing is, there has been many more people moaning about the lack of gapless playback than say the lack of on-the-go-playlists with the HD5. The problem is that people have been moaning to Apple since the 1st Gen iPod about the gapless issue - there has been nearly 5 generations and countless other oppurtunities for them to fix the problem.

Like I said, Sony fixed the problem on the Vaio Pocket within 3 months which proves it CAN be done with MP3 playback.

If Sony's players are still of such pathetic build quality after the next 5 HD releases it would be comparible to the iPod.

Make no mistake, Sony ****** me off big time with the HD5 - but in my experience Sony also listens to its customers. SS has been getting better with every edition. The Vaio received a firmware upgrade...

Apple on the other hand has blatantly ignored it's customers and even had the cheek to release official information to circumvent the problem, suggesting that the whole cd be recorded as one MP3 file... Phwoooaaar!!!!!!!

25. haroldpark

haroldpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see much gain in it for Apple from a marketing perspective. The majority of the population would not know what gapless is. Upon figuring it out they would then either a) assume that the iPod could already play gaplessly because it is a hi-tech world famous product b) not really care c) say about f$%^ing time. Those in group a) probably don't own an iPod and hearing that it can only now do what their 10 year old CD player can do might make them more suspicious about what they must have assumed was apretty awesome device. To those in group b) its obviously not gonna make any difference. Those i group c) would be a timy if vocal minority RELATIVE to the other two.
    Its like Sony advertising the HD6 with "Now with buttons that won't develop hairline cosmetic fractures!" Some will be "what the fudge?!!", others will say "who really cares about those quasi-invisible cracks", while many hear would say "thank Christ".
    They crux of it is that they already sell a bajillion playes a year and it probably wouldn't help them sell that many more. The other factor is that there is no real market pressure from other companies that have gapless playback as Sony are the only ones left now who do and they don't market it at all. Probably because their maarket research told them people were more ****** off with the iPods battery life than anything else. And Apples research told them that people didn't even care that much if their device had a screen or not as they spent most of the time in shuffle mode.
    I wouldn't expect Apple to implement gapless until everbody else has it as standard and then it would not be something they would shout from the rooftops either. Which is a shame because it is something that stops me from seriously considering buying an iPod at all.

26. haroldpark

haroldpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I take from this that you post at head-fi.org as bangraman? I had suspected it before as you both seem to have the same players.
    hh

27. Grey Area

Grey Area

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I´m very pleased with the Nano´s release, even if there is no way I will buy one. With affordable 2GB and 4GB versions it will hopefully stirr up the (IMHO stagnating) flash player market, where most makers refuse to go beyond 1 GB.

The Nano itself suffers from the usual Apple flaws - built-in battery, dependent on iTunes, and of course lack of gapless, which means that I cannot really consider it to be a functional audio player.

I´m also disappointed that Apple went with the styling of the full-size iPod, not that of the IMHO much nicer iPod Mini. And a lot of its design seems like ugly compromises to me: maybe the Mini´s design was not adapted, because the aluminium would have to be thin as tinfoil to keep the Nano as flat as it is. And why would the Nano have to be so flat? Probably because it needs to have an obvious advantage over the iPod Mini - as far as I know, Apple never provided much information about the fragility of HD-players, so they couldn´t really market a new flash player with "just like the iPod Mini, except that it won´t break down!"

And I guess the reason for the weird placement of the headphone out is that this is the only place where there was space left; the top is probably taken up by the screen, after all. This makes the Nano rather awkward. Promo pictures cannot show it with headphones all that well, and the headphones will have to be removed before using the dock. Nonetheless, I bet this will be declared a major feature somehow, just like the lack of a screen on the Shuffle. :rolleyes:

Björn

28. Buzku

Buzku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it had 6gt of space and 20+ hours of playback I would buy it, I guess. I don't need colour screen, so it would be nice if there was a b/w-screen version w/ 20+ hours of playback. Well, I am today going to buy Sony NW-HD5.

29. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks real nice. Pity its gonna cost £1,000,000 for a stick with a screen.

30. Wykey

Wykey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think it through, jeans, forget it's there, sit down, pick a million pieces of white plastic out of your leg.

Not cool !