Ipod music transfer to Pc

F

felixs

Hi All,

It's my first time here, a quick question can I transfer music from an ipod to a pc, i have not got the original music on the ipod stored anywhere?

Thanks Felix

yes ,but you will need some third party software to do this,just google ipod to pc..

felixs said:
Hi All,

It's my first time here, a quick question can I transfer music from an ipod to a pc, i have not got the original music on the ipod stored anywhere?

Thanks Felix

Open iTunes and select edit/preferences/advanced/general. Put a check mark in the box marked "copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" and also "keep iTunes music folder organized", then click 'ok'.

Connect the iPod whilst holding down the shift/ctrl keys to prevent any auto sync, and if you see the dialogue window asking if you want to sync to this itunes library, click <b>'no'.</b>

Then go to file/add folder, open 'my computer', select your iPod and click 'ok'.

The music files should transfer to your iTunes.

If this doesn't work (and it may not because officially it's not supposed to), there's Yamipod http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/ This is a free program that transfers music and playlists etc from iPod back to the computer. However, it does not transfer playcounts/ratings etc.

Id like to add the following

It is possible to transfer any tunes MP3 etc from one pc to another just using windows explorer.

I found this out the hard way as i had to reinstall windows xp on our 14 year olds pc this weekend.

Obviously once i had reinstalled all the software her itunes didnt have any of her library tunes(as i didnt save them)

By connecting her ipod and then opening windows explorer the files could be seen in the ipod control folder usually as files v01 v02 v03 etc(show hidden files in the folder view has to be enabled)

by dragging them over to my documents and and creating a new folder i was able to imprt the new folder into itunes and restore all her tunes into the library again:D

Hope that helps

JeffB said:
Open iTunes and select edit/preferences/advanced/general. Put a check mark in the box marked "copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" and also "keep iTunes music folder organized", then click 'ok'.

Connect the iPod whilst holding down the shift/ctrl keys to prevent any auto sync, and if you see the dialogue window asking if you want to sync to this itunes library, click <b>'no'.</b>

Then go to file/add folder, open 'my computer', select your iPod and click 'ok'.

If this doesn't work (and it may not because officially it's not supposed to), there's Yamipod http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/ This is a free program that transfers music and playlists etc from iPod back to the computer. However, it does not transfer playcounts/ratings etc.

:thumbsup: Just wiped my computer and forgot to back up my music ( have it all on cd's ) so saved me some time.

This method worked a treat. cheers

I don't mean to ruin your day but i tried this with all the above mentioned software and it simply would not work.
[mod comment. I've removed the post mentioning this software]

I had to get it off using disk mode then rename every single bloody file.:mad: All 1600 of them. Took me 2 weeks.:eek:

Don't want to ruin your 2 weeks of work, but you are aware that itunes will automatically do this for you. Infact, so will Windows media player.:)

As long as you are happy with the songs being organised by folder/file name of /artist/album/disc#_track#_songtitle. Itunes will read the tag information and create the folder names and rename the song files.

Look at "itunes>edit>preferences>Advanced>Keep itunes folder organized".

The best way to use this is to copy your ipod music to a temp folder. Then use itunes to add the folder to your library "itunes>file>add folder to library". Make sure artist name etc is correct. Then use the itunes consolidate library option to copy all the music in the temp folder to your itunes folder "itunes>advanced>consolidate library".

I use this all the time to copy music from friends ipods.

limegreenzx said:
Don't want to ruin your 2 weeks of work, but you are aware that itunes will automatically do this for you. Infact, so will Windows media player.:)

As long as you are happy with the songs being organised by folder/file name of /artist/album/disc#_track#_songtitle. Itunes will read the tag information and create the folder names and rename the song files.

Look at "itunes>edit>preferences>Advanced>Keep itunes folder organized".

The best way to use this is to copy your ipod music to a temp folder. Then use itunes to add the folder to your library "itunes>file>add folder to library". Make sure artist name etc is correct. Then use the itunes consolidate library option to copy all the music in the temp folder to your itunes folder "itunes>advanced>consolidate library".

I use this all the time to copy music from friends ipods.

*Bangs head against wall till brains turn to mush*:rolleyes:

Daerve said:
I had to get it off using disk mode then rename every single bloody file.:mad: All 1600 of them. Took me 2 weeks.:eek:

My friend get yourself over to http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ and download this excellent free tagging program. It can, for example, automatically rename files to any format you choose based on the tag information. :)

JeffB said:

:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

I was about to ask the same question.

Thanks for the answer

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

actually you don't need any new software to import songs from your iPod to your PC...

I have 2 computers and wanted to have both uptodate with my music without having to rip the albums...

I did the following.

Ripped the music once, and shoved it all across into iTunes. whacked it all onto my iPod.

Then, when you first plug your ipod into your computer, it takes a few seconds to load iTunes. During this period you can access the Ipods hard drive/flash drive/ whatever... when the computer catches up and says, "Do you want to use the library from this computer etc etc... DON'T Click it!!! just leave it alone and go back to explorer.

You can then drag all the files from the ipod into your iTunes folder on the new computer, and when you're done dragging you can simply go into itUnes, click off the warning, one way or the other and then go to import folder... the Itunes folder will sort all the music (previously stored as files like AXY.aac etc) into the relevant album folders for you, which is pretty handy too...

hope this helps when it comes to backing up...

unfortunately my computer that had more of my music on died completely during a defrag, which meant I had to basically start my collection again, but hey... life goes on, and fortunately I used the above method to save a good 20 albums...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom